Chapter five

Everyone at the table, except for Elizabeth and Oliver, erupts in laughter.

     "Nice try, now tell us what you really got child?" Luna Dupuis says.

     "A perfect score, fifteen hundred out of fifteen hundred."

     "That's impossible. You're an omega. For you to get a perfect score would be extremely rare. Now, stop lying and tell us what you really got." the Luna says again as the mocking smile fades off of her face.

     "I'm not lying. I got a perfect score"

     "Alright, now my patience is wearing thin. What did you actually get on the test, girl? And if you lie to me again there will be consequences." she says.

I keep my mouth shut and say nothing.

Suddenly, the doorbell rings. Thank the moon goddess, I think to myself. Franchesca fidgets, playing with the edge of the golden runner on the table. I wonder if she is nervous about the proposal.

        "Finally, I'm starving. Since the alpha of Black Wood has arrived, can we eat now?" Elizabeth says.

Marie walks over to me.

      "You go get his luggage and I'll bring up the first course,"  she whispers. I quickly exit the dining room and head to large oak doors at the front of the house.

      Outside, a man with dark black hair, almond-shaped eyes, and honey colored skin climbs out of a black Suv followed by a woman with similar coloring and a man with same color skin and eyes but grey hair. I assume the young man is the alpha of Black Wood pack; the woman is his sister, and the older man with gray hair is his uncle.

       "Welcome alpha," I say, opening the door wide to the man. "The others are in the dining room. It is the third door to you right. Don't worry about your luggage, I will bring it up to your room for you."

       "Thank you." he says, walking past me into the house, his uncle and sister follow behind him. There is not much luggage in the trunk because they are only staying for the night.

When I finally get back, they are just finishing up the first course, butternut squash soup. I quickly help Marie gather the dishes and bring up the next course, creamy stuffed mushrooms.

As we bring up the food, alpha Dupuis stops Marie and asks her to bring up champagne bottles and flutes from his cellar.

      "Even Oliver and Franchesca can have a glass," he says. "It's a special occasion." He winks at her and Marie smiles in response, going down to the cellar and coming back with bottles and flutes.

While we pour the beverages, the alpha of Black Wood pulls out a little black satin box.

      "I'm sure you all know, but with the recent rise of the Dark Moon pack, it is more important now than ever that we band together. And I can think of no better way to seal our alliance than marriage. Franchesca, you have enchanted my thoughts since I first heard your name. Will you join our two packs and marry me?" The alpha pulls out his chair and gets down on one knee in front of Franchesca, producing an engagement ring probably worth nine omegas life savings. Alpha Dupuis smiles and lifts his chin proudly.

I watch Franchesca as she looks at the ring then carefully moves her hand towards it. But instead of putting it on, she simply closes the box.

My eyes immediately dart to the alpha. The silver ring that all shifters have is growing and threatening to cover the entirety of his icy blue irises. I've heard that sometimes shifters can turn into their wolf forms uncontrollably from anger, although I've never seen it happen before or been close to seeing it happen until now.