Chapter two

"Really?" I say.

"Yep." Mr. Baldwin hands me a paper which details my results and another paper that contains Marie's.

"I don't think we have a person at this school get a perfect score on the A.M.E. for at least five years now." I nod in agreement. Even at the school for shifters, only a few students get a perfect score each year.

"Opal, we were both really impressed with your scores and we were wondering if you and your cousin had ever considered continuing onto higher education after high school?" Ms. Baldwin asks.

A grin takes over my face. While Centri University automatically guarantees entrance plus a full scholarship for shifters, Omegas must submit competing admissions for a chance at one of the limited number of slots open for us.

"Yes, I want higher education to be an option for me after high school."

"Well, in that case, we would love to invite you, your father, and your sister over to our house for dinner on Sunday. We are old friends with an admissions officer and we want you to meet him." Mr. Baldwin says.

"Do you really think I could get in?"

"Well, it's always competitive so we can't guarantee acceptance, but with your stats you are definitely going to be a strong submission." Ms. Baldwin says.

"We will let you go now, but you should expect a call with the address for dinner." Mr. Baldwin says.

//////////////////////

The sun soaks warmth through the thin cotton of my maid's uniform. Even the weather is cheerful.

A familiar black car turns onto the empty street ahead and drives slowly towards me. When it stops I slip into the backseat.

"Car take me home." Oliver says to the vehicle. The engine hums as it pulls off the curb and heads down the road, the wheel automatically steering even without a driver, the alpha gifted Oliver a self driving car a couple months ago for his birthday.

"You didn't tell me you were going to pick me up from school today." I say. Oliver leans across the seat and captures my lips in a short, sweet kiss. His hand cups my cheek so he can kiss me deeper. Once we are both out of breathless, he breaks the kiss. Settling his head in the crook of my neck.

"I thought it would be a nice surprise to pick you up today," he pants. I bring my hand up to stroke Oliver's light brown curls.

"You were right. "

Oliver lifts his head from my neck and pulls me onto his lap by my waist.

"You are in a good mood." I note.

"I should be. Summer break has just begun and Ida is arriving today." he says. A slight frown forms on my face as an image of Ida flashes before my mind, skin covered with pimples, mouth clunky with medals from her braces, and eyes almost always staring at Oliver with infatuation. Ida spends every summer at the alpha's house. It's natural that he would be close to her, I remind myself.

"Did you get your A.M.E results?" Oliver asks.

"Yes."

"And"

"I got a perfect score." I grin at him. He throws his head back and groans.

"What did you get?" I ask.

"Fourteen fifty," Oliver says. His voice muffled against my skin as he leaves small nipping kisses along my jaw and the shell on my ear.

"Stop trying to distract me from the fact that I won the bet." I gloat.