Chapter eight

I take a deep breath and raise my fist to the door. My fingers shake as I knock against the wood.

"Come in." luna Dupuis says. She is seated behind her desk and Franchesca stands behind her.

"You asked for me ma'am." I say.

"Yes, take a seat please." she responds. I step forward and settle myself into the comfortable office chair.

"So Opal, that is your name, right?" she clarifies.

"Yes, ma'am," I say, fidgeting in the leather chair.

"I called your school and got your records. It turns out you weren't lying about your perfect score. So how did you do it?"

"How did I do what?" I ask.

"How did you cheat?" she asks. My heart races a million beats per second in my chest.

"I didn't cheat ma'am."

"Don't lie to me."

"I didn't cheat." I defend.

"Stop lying." she yells. "My daughter is descended from a line of alphas on both sides. There is no way that an omega like you could score higher than her. Admit to cheating now and your punishment won't be as harsh," I feel my face heat. And before I know it, the words come tumbling out of my mouth.

"Look, I'm sorry if you can't wrap your head around it. But the fact of the matter is that I scored higher than your daughter on the A.M.E. I didn't cheat and I won't pretend that I did." I cross my arms.

Luna Dupuis and Franchesca glare down at me and I meet their gazes.
The crash of the office door breaking through the drywall as it's flung open halts our staring contest. We all look to see the alpha in the doorway. His irises are completely silver as he walks over to the drink cart across the room, pours himself a glass of brandy, and takes a long sip. He holds the glass in his eyeline, studying the brown liquid as if it contains the secrets of the universe.

"Everyone out except for my wife." he whispers.

Franchesca and I both scurry out of the office, sending curious glances backwards as we go. Once I'm sure Franchesca can no longer see me, I duck into Elizabeth's playroom. It's quiet and cleaner than usual because she is at a playdate.

"Are you sure that we can't persuade the Black Wood packs alpha to reconsider?" luna Dupuis says. Her voice is slightly muffled, but I can still make out what she is saying through the wall.

"There is nothing we can do. The Dark Moon alpha is already engaged to his sister. It's indisputable now. We have lost our alliance with them because of you!" alpha Dupuis yells.

"But only Black Wood's pack vote isn't enough to overwhelm our majority on the alpha council"

"No, but now it will be that much easier for them to convince other smaller packs to join in."

"They will never gain enough support to overturn our majority." Luna Dupuis says.

"You better hope not for your sake." the alpha says, then storms out of the office.

I walk out of the playroom, my hands shaking slightly. I dislike both the alpha and luna Dupuis but even their leadership has to better than the Dark Moon alpha's. The man who killed his own siblings and step mother.

I go through the rest of the day in a trance of fear. Marie dating alpha Dupuis, a human stealing silmon flowers, the Dark Moon alpha gaining power. Everything seems to be collapsing around me. The one bright light in my mood is my meeting with the admissions officer.

Come Monday morning, principal Baldwin calls us. Instructing my father and me to come to the school building for an afternoon meeting instead of their house for dinner.

At one pm we leave the pack house and walk to the school. When we get there, the doors are unlocked. We head straight to the principal's office where the Baldwins are waiting for us. Principal Baldwin sits in a chair behind her desk and Mr. Baldwin stands behind her.

"Where's the college admissions officer?" I ask. Principal Baldwin shoots a nervous glance at her brother.

"Please take a seat?" she gestures to the empty chairs in front of her desk. My father and I sit down and face towards her.

"Opal, I'm afraid you cannot meet the college admissions officer or come back to our school this  fall."

"What! Why?" My dad asks.

"We recently have received some information that leads us to believe that you cheated on your A.M.E exam. Given the school policy, this means that we will unfortunately have to expel you."

"What information?" My dad asks.

"We are not authorized to reveal that." Mr. Baldwin says.

"Where did you get this information from?" he asks.

"We are also not authorized to reveal our sources."

"So what you are saying is you are going to expel my daughter and you can't even tell us why."

"We told you why. She cheated on her A.M.E's." Mr. Baldwin says. I feel my eyes gloss over with tears.

"No, I didn't, I didn't cheat. I've never, ever, cheated on a test before. Please, principal Baldwin, you can ask any of my former teachers."

"I'm sorry, Opal, but our evidence is irrefutable. Whether you want to admit it or not, you did cheat on your A.M.E,"

"My daughter is an honor roll student. If she says she didn't cheat, she didn't cheat. Whatever evidence you have against her you need to need to review because it's incorrect." my father yells at principal Baldwin.

"Sir, I'm afraid we will have to ask you to leave." Mr. Baldwin says.

"Why?' he yells.

"You are getting violent."

"I'm not getting violent! I'm asking you people reasonable questions!"

"Sir, please leave now before we call the pack enforcers." Mr. Baldwin asserts.

"This is unacceptable." My father rises from his chair and storms out of the office.

I take one last look at the office before walking out behind him.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

AN: Hello everyone! :). I hope you guys enjoyed this week's updates  As usual you can download Inkitt for FREE for free and read next weeks chapters early or come back next Friday for another chapter on Wattpad.