Getaway

Plot: What should have happened during Selin and Demir's getaway in episode nineteen.

Running was all Selin Sever knew. Ever since she was a little child, she'd run from her problems. When the unfortunate accident had happened with Edis, her parents had shipped her off to her Grandma where she'd been forced to deal with a magnitude of guilt by herself. Since then, she'd never really known how to handle situations that made her angry or upset. She'd been taught to take herself out of the situation and just deal with it however she knew best and that was exactly what she was doing with Demir right now.

As much as she didn't want to run away, as much as she wanted to confront him or hold him or yell at him, she couldn't - she just didn't know how to.

With her arms folded across her chest, she stared out the window and at the forest in front of her, tears clouding her vision.

In her head, she was still struggling to comprehend that Demir and Eylül had once been engaged and that she'd been clueless about it all this time. Selin wasn't stupid, she knew Demir was a desirable man and she knew it was normal for him to have had ex-girlfriends. But knowing about Eylül's existence and actually seeing her were two completely different things.

All of the moments between Eylül and Demir came flooding back to Selin. The first time Eylül had visited the company and Demir had been struck like a deer in headlights, when Eylül had run out of their house after realising Selin and Demir were together, his unreasonable reaction to her wearing the ring that Eylül had given her. Demir's demeanour had changed a lot recently and it made Selin question everything about their relationship.

Eylül was the reason Demir had put that love ban on the company; she was the reason he'd been hesitant to welcome the idea of a relationship with Selin. That first night when she'd drunkenly fallen into bed with him, had he wrapped his arms around her because he'd thought she was Eylül? Every time he told her off for being messy and disorderly, was he thinking back to how simple things had been with his ex? Every glance, every kiss, every touch - had Selin been second best?

From everything that Eylül and Demir had told her, she knew Demir hadn't wanted the relationship to end; he'd been the one who'd been dumped. If Eylül hadn't changed her mind last minute, the two of them would be married right now and Selin wouldn't have even existed in this story. A part of her was wondering whether that was how things were meant to be. Maybe she was just the roadblock stopping Eylül and Demir from having their happy ending? Maybe she was just the fun and colourful phase that poised Demir needed to experience before settling down with someone more like him?

As Demir made his way into the room silently, another small sob rose from Selin's throat and she stubbornly tried to wipe the tears from her face. Her eyes were glued to the darkened forest outside and she tried her best to stop crying. Even though she wanted to scream from the rooftops that she hated him for putting her through this heartache, she just couldn't. The reason she was hurting so much was because she loved him and the thought of letting him go was too much for her fragile little heart to handle.

Selin was someone who loved and lived boldly. She trusted everyone easily because she chose to see the good in people and while, on the surface, that seemed like a great a way to live, it also meant she was more susceptible to being hurt. She attached herself to people quickly - Edis, Merve, Ayda, Ibo, Burak ... Demir - and deep down, she was petrified to lose them; it haunted her nightmares daily.

Tentatively, Selin glanced at Demir from the corner of her eye. He was leaning against the wall, watching her intently with a pained look on his face.

At this point, he had nothing else to say to make her feel better. Ever since Eylül had stepped through Artemim's doors, Demir knew this moment would come. He knew it would hurt and he knew she'd be angry and upset. He thought he'd prepared himself to deal with whatever reaction Selin had but honestly, he'd been kidding himself. It pained him to see her so distraught and what was worse was that she wouldn't let him comfort her. He remembered the day her parents had left Istanbul and she'd gone running into his arms, crying. Back then, neither of them had been aware of their feelings but she'd sought comfort in him. He'd rubbed her back and held her close, holding back his own tears and now ... she wouldn't even let him touch her. She wasn't able to see things from his side, wasn't able to see how much he loved her, how much Eylül didn't matter. He kept saying that things between them had long ended but Selin was having a hard time understanding any of it.