Professional distance

Florence woke up feeling well rested and kind of squished. Her face was pressed against the back of the driver's seat and she could feel something laying next to her, really close and breathing lightly. Turning around, Florence realised that Neville had curled up next to her and was still fast asleep wrapped in the makeshift blanket from last night. She decided it would be awkward to wake him seeing as they were supposed to be keeping 'professional distance' and this definitely wasn't professional nor distanced. She climbed out the back door and sat in the passenger seat waiting for Neville to wake up.

"This is not very distanced.." Neville heard Florence mutter under her breath as she moved away from him. She obviously hadn't noticed that he was awake yet, and he wanted to keep it that way. If she had decided to wake him and ask why he was practically snuggled next to her, that would be extremely awkward for both people. He wouldn't ever admit this, but it was nice sleeping next to Florence, even if it was only because they got lost on the way to Colin's house and gave up. No, that wasn't true. They were best friends, that was all, she was a good friend to him and anything more would be crazy. 

After a while driving around, they finally found the main road back to the station. Florence and Neville sat in an awkward silence, both knowing that they had secretly enjoyed sleeping next to each other last night. They arrived at the police station and silently walked into the building where Marlon was already waiting for them. "Where have you two been? You both look exhausted and you're wearing yesterdays clothes!" he questioned. A few seconds of no reply from either of them. "Got lost on the way to a friend's house last night, had to sleep in the car" Florence confessed slightly bashfully. 

Florence went to sit at her desk opposite Neville's. All the while she couldn't stop thinking about him, how much she'd enjoyed yesterday, but decided that they were just good friends, that was all. These feelings had to stop here and now. She knew he wouldn't ever feeling the same, he would never fancy his colleague, right?