Sunflower Patch

Just like every other morning, I stared out the kitchen window that overlooked my backyard and smiled sleepily at the patch of wild sunflowers growing in a corner of overturned dirt. They had been there for just a few months, and since the moment they had sprouted, they had been a bittersweet reminder of my ex-fiancé.

Elio had been, quite literally, the sunshine of my life. His warm and outgoing personality enveloped me like a comforting hug, a stark contrast to my sarcasm and cynicism.

We had first met in sophomore year in college when we'd bumped into each other in a hallway. It had truly been every girl's meet-cute dream, he'd picked up my books and I had blushed at him, he'd asked for my name and offered to walk me to class, and everything had been so perfect. We became friends, then lovers, and by the time I had my Criminal Psychology degree, he was proposing to me in the same hallway we had met. Life had been beautiful with him, or at least so far.

By the time we were both done with our studies and living in the house of our dreams, petty fights were common currency within this walls. Whether it be about the clothes on the living room floor or the color of the wedding napkins, it seemed like we were at a disagreement on everything. Still, my love for him never ceased, it overflowed me every time he ruffled his nose, or ranted at me over something that happened to him at work. No matter how much we fought, I knew he'd always be by my side.

Or at least until that fateful night. Elio had been working in his office when his phone pinged on the nightstand. I had grabbed it and gotten out of bed, walking towards his office, when my eyes skimmed over the notification. A goodnight text from someone named "A". Curious but shameful, I ended up unlocking his phone, opening the chat with this mysterious one-lettered individual. Oh, how I wish I hadn't. Months of sickeningly sweet texts stared back at me, as tears welled up in my eyes. My heart beating a mile a minute, I remember stomping into his office and confronting him about it. I remember a screaming match, vases being thrown and going back to bed alone, only to stay there for the next three days or so.

Around the fourth day, the police came knocking at my door, said he had been reported missing by an Allison. They searched the house and were unable to find any clues for where he might have gone. His phone and wallet were still at the table and the mess of broken shards in his office cleaned up. I told them I hadn't even known he was gone. They left with promises to find him, but I wasn't sure if I wanted them to.

That was over four months ago, around the same time the sunflowers had begun to grow in the corner. Or at least most of it; one of the ends of the overturned patch remained barren, which made sense.

I walked out of the kitchenand onto the backyard, heading for the shovel by the empty space, and carefullyundug some of the dirt. Elio's peaceful face now revealed, I stared lovinglyinto his every feature. A small scab lay on his forehead, reminding me of theevents of that horrible night. Something I had said came back to me, and Iwhispered it lowly as I covered his face back up, "If I can't have you, nobodyelse can either.".