Chapter Twenty-Eight

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

The second the hour was up, Peeta was with Katniss, and Johanna checked on Finnick. Odette joined Beetee, awkwardly standing around them while they collected themselves again. She wanted to go to Finnick, too, but he hardly needed two people all over him.

"No one's going to touch Prim," Peeta promised, something resembling relief flooding over Katniss' face.

Johanna stood again, and Odette held her breath. "Your fiancé's right. The whole country loves your sister," she said, not as harsh as Odette had expected. "If they tortured her, or did anything to her, forget the districts, there would be riots in the damn Capitol." She smiled in satisfaction, standing there as if she owned the whole arena. She grinned before she talked to the sky. "Hey, how does that sound, Snow?" She paced in front of them. "What if we... What if we set your backyard on fire? You know, you can't put everybody in here!"

Everyone looked at her, even Odette found herself at a loss of words. Of course everyone was thinking it. At least something similar, but to say it? To be actually heard? It was reckless and dangerous for more people than herself.

"What?" Johanna sounded eerily calm. "They can't hurt me. There's no one left that I love."

Odette looked down at her shoes, trying to not be hurt by her words. It was selfish, and something she definitely shouldn't be worrying about when they could die any moment, but even so it was hard to ignore a statement like that.

She'd thought Johanna had needed time, or was uncomfortable, or didn't want to say anything too heavy at all before they went into the arena. It had never occurred to her that she might just... not love her. How could she ever think that, when all Johanna had done was look out for her, pull her back together and...

Fuck, she really couldn't be worrying about who did and didn't love her. "We should head back to the beach," she said. "It'll be safer, Johanna will find us."

Odette grabbed Finnick's trident when he left without it. He clearly wasn't okay, which become clearer when he wandered into the water alone. She understood, though. She liked to think she did, in a weird way. The not knowing, the not being able to help. Being stuck while someone you loved might be hurting. She imagined he felt like she did when she watched Miles die. Except worse, because he was in love with her and he had no certainty.

She sat down next to Beetee, listening as Katniss and Johanna talked about Annie. She'd met her once, during her victor's tour. She never made it as a mentor, but she'd heard Finnick talk about her a few times. She felt for both of them.

"I have a plan," Beetee said in a moment of silence. Odette wondered how long he'd sat with that.

Johanna stood, calling over Finnick. They soon rejoined, and Odette pulled her knees up to her chest. "I have a plan," he repeated to Finnick. "Where do the Careers feel safest?"