Two. Babysitting Derek Hale

TWO

TWO.                117
DECEMBER 29. 2011

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

CORDELIA LOVED ANIMALS. She had a calico cat named Tinkerbell since she was six years old. So when she was looking at all the cats in the Beacon Hills Animal Hospital instead of the peculiar case of a teenage Derek Hale, nobody was actually surprised. They had dropped Malia and Kira off on their way there, leaving just Lydia, Scott, and Stiles to deal with this new problem. Cordelia didn't deal with these problems. Stiles wouldn't let her.

     Alan Deaton looked down at Derek's unconscious body. "Wow." Was seemingly all he could say.

     Stiles looks up. "Wow? Wow as in, I've seen this before and I know exactly what to do, kind of wow? 'Cause that's the kind of wow we were hoping for." He rambled.

     Deaton looked up. "I think you might be overestimating my abilities."

     Lydia grabs Derek's hands, "He's cold." She stated, looking back at the veterinarian. Deaton began urgently looking over Derek's body, studying everything. "Really cold."

     "Do you think this is permanent?" Asked Scott.

     "I'm not sure a medical diagnosis is even adequate." Deaton mumbled, studying Derek's eyes. He looked at the teens. "This is well beyond my experience."

     "So what do we do with him?" Asks Stiles.

     Deaton shrugs. "Until he wakes up? Probably not much. It might be best to leave him with me. He'll be safe here."

     "You mean from Kate?"

    "If she's alive and she is what you say she is, she won't be able to walk past that gate." Deaton explained to the teenage alpha and his friends. Scott glanced back down at Derek. He couldn't believe that the man that had helped him learn how to be what he was, was now a teenager. Hell, maybe younger than Scott was now.

     Lydia shook her head. "Why would she want do this to him?" She asked.

     "Knowing Kate, it's probably for a reason that won't be any good for anyone but her." Deaton explained.

     Stiles huffed. "And bad for everyone else." He added.

    Deaton nodded, "You guys should probably go home. He doesn't look to be in any danger. So maybe the rest of you should get some sleep?" He gives them all a knowing smile. They all appeared to be exhausted. And from what they've done the past two days, he didn't blame them. "It is a school night. And you all need to start taking care of your own lives again."