Chapter 3: First Steps

Week 2, Day 2

Joel scans the dining hall for Erick. He's got a tray of food and a ton of homework to do for Christopher's class tomorrow, but he's not worried. He's going to Christopher's office hours later.

"Joel!" Joel turns to the voice and sees Erick sitting, waiting at one of the tables in the corner. Erick and Joel have been acquaintances for years, the type of friends who have each other's number but hardly use them. When they decided separately to go to the same school, they chose to share a room. So far, it's worked out well. Erick's has been a person to talk to in all the gossip that surrounds Joel lately.

"Hey," Joel sits.

"Dude, did you do the reading for Esmeralda's class yet?" Erick asks. He'd switched out of an 8 AM class into Joel's sociology class before they'd even moved into their dorm room.

"Enough."

"How long is it?"

Joel shrugs, "Half a novel."

"What is it about?"

"It's a pre-timer novel," Joel says, digging into his huge plate of pasta, "This girl is upset because she doesn't know which guy to go with or something."

Erick shakes his head, "It's only the second week of school, do you think she'll-" Erick trails off and looks over Joel's shoulder with a grin, "Your One just walked in."

Joel perks up at that. He turns and sure enough, Chris is walking with another professor over to a table on the other side of the dining hall.

"Chris!" Joel calls. Chris looks up at the voice, looking around the room, eyes pausing when they get to Joel. A soft, hopeful smile takes over his face. Joel raises a hand briefly. Chris says something to the professor he's with, setting his tray down on a table and walking towards Joel.

Joel turns to Erick, "Don't embarrass me."

Erick snorts, "Dude, it's your One. Like I could."

"Joel," Chris approaches the table, hands in the pockets of his dress pants. Joel sits up straighter. Every time Joel has seen Chris, he's dressed in sharp lines and rich fabrics. Joel didn't realize he had a thing for business casual until Chris came to class last week wearing a dark grey suit. That was the Chris that Joel had in his head all weekend as they texted little thoughts to each other.

"Hey," Joel nods. He leans forward on his elbows and pretends to be settled in his skin.

"Didn't see you this morning," Chris points out.

Joel chuckles, "No, I slept in. I was going to come by later."

"Okay," Chris nods, "I'll be in my office between 4 and 6."

"I know," Joel grins and Chris grins back. Erick coughs across from him, "Oh, this is Erick."

Chris looks at Erick, offers his hand, "Hello, I'm Christopher."

"Nice to meet you," Erick shakes Christopher's hand, not bothering to wipe the fried food grease off his hand first.

Chris stands there after pulling his hand back, rocking once on his heels, "Well," he looks uncomfortable, bashful. Joel is an awful person for finding it endearing. "I'll see you later."

"Bye," Joel nods at Chris as he walks away.

Joel watches Chris walk away. When he turns back to the table, Erick is mid eyeroll, "What?"

"You guys are one of those couples," Erick jokes, "the ones who act all shy in the beginning."

"He's my professor, how am I supposed to act?" Joel questions as he stuffs a few french-fries into his mouth.