Chapter 8

Joel knows something is wrong when Professor Camacho comes in at the end of Esmeralda's class two weeks after he asked Chris for some space. Professor Camacho seeks Joel out with his eyes, and they stick when they find him. It's the opposite of Chris, whose eyes jump away from Joel when they accidentally find his in Joel's new seat in the back of his lecture hall. Of course, everyone on campus is talking about it. A few of his peers notice the look Professor Camacho is giving him now.

"Alright- class dismissed. Make sure to read the first part of Twilight before next class. It is one of the only modern examples of Timeless love stories and will launch our discussion next week on the effects of being Timeless."

Joel waits until the class filters out, last ditch hope that Professor Camacho is there to talk to Esmeralda.

"Joel," Professor Camacho calls when it's him and a few other stragglers. "You got a minute?"

"Sure Professor."

Richard startles at that, "Call me Richard."

Joel nods and moves to stand next to him, "Okay, sir."

"Uh-" Richard pauses, "My office is down the hall. You know I'm Christopher's best friend?"

"Yes?"

"Then you really don't have to be formal, bro."

Joel keeps his strides long to match Richard's pace down the hall, "Did he tell you-"

"Of course he did. Doesn't change the fact you're soulmates." They get to the office and Richard shuts the door behind him, motions for Joel to sit on the couch while Richard sits on the arm of a wingback chair next to it. "You do understand that, right? That you and Chris are an inevitability?"

"Yes?"

"Yes, as in 'yes, I know that' or yes as in 'you're probably right'?" Richard's head is tilted, and his eyes shine a spotlight on Joel.

"You're probably right?"

"Why is it not a guarantee for you? Do you not believe in the science of Timers?"

"No, no, I do," Joel runs a hand through his hair, a nervous habit he has to stop, "Out situation is different, though."

"How?" Richard presses, "The science behind Timers is that they connect you with your soulmate. Period. Your Timers brought you together. Therefore, you're soulmates."

Joel swallows, "Only the Timers brought us together. Chris would never have even looked at me if it hadn't been for the Timers."

"Not while you're eighteen, no," Richard admits the point, "But in a world when Timers don't exist, maybe you would have reconnected when you were older, fallen in love the old-fashioned way. It could have happened."

"Yes!" Joel points out, "That's my point, I'm too young for him right now. Maybe in a few years, when I'm a little older, we'll be fine."

Richard holds eye contact for a moment before carefully picking his words, "So you do think you will get back together?"

"Yes?" Joel answers. "Or I hope so? You're his friend, you know him. He deserves... I don't know. He deserves someone better than me right now, but maybe after I've grown up a bit, I'll be that person."

"I don't know if he recognizes that," Richard shakes his head, a curt movement, "He talks as if you've broken up."

Joel crosses his arms over his chest, "Not really, there wasn't much to break up."

"Why do you say that?"

Joel tilts his head toward Richard, "Did he talk to you about me?"

"All the time," Richard grins.