Chapter 2 the Serum

"Again!"

Oliver fought back a groan. The smell of blood filled the air; he knew it was his. He had been struggling against the metal restraints around his wrists and ankles, and they finally broke the skin.

A man with a balding head of black hair and hard icy eyes stood above him. In his gloved hand was a syringe filled with a blackish red like liquid. Oliver knew who the man was: Dr. Oliver Reed. He was a sadistic bastard. There was an unnaturally wicked smile on his wrinkled face as he waved the syringe in the air. Oliver raised his head a bit off the hospital bed to spit at him. Dr. Reed gave a laugh that would have sent chills down Oliver's spine if he had not been hearing it for the past nine years. Oliver snarled at the doctor.

"Such a wild thing," the doctor commented.

Oliver rolled his eyes. The prick called him the same thing almost every day.

"Now, now. No attitude from you today." Reed rested his other gloved hand on Oliver's shoulder, thumb digging into the soft flesh above his collarbone. Oliver winced at the small flash of pain it produced.

"I'm going to kill you," Oliver muttered. "One of these fucking days, I'm going to kill you."

"You can try."

The sharp needle was inserted into his upper arm. A hot and sharp tingling sensation burned down his arm and bled into his torso. His heartbeat increased, until it was pounding loudly in his ears. Suddenly, Oliver felt his muscles painfully lock up, then the shakes started, felling as if his body was on fire while also being stabbed. Tremor after tremor shook his body. The locked wheels of the hospital bed clanged loudly against the floor as it was rocked by his quaking. His breath sped up, as if his lungs, that felt he was breathing in water, were trying to match his racing heartbeat.

"Very good."

Oliver tried to force his eyes to focus on the doctor. After what felt like hours, the shaking started to subside. The burning pain was still there in his veins, but at least his body did not feel like it was caught in an earthquake while being stabbed. He panted heavily as he coughed up a bit of blood he tasted.

Reed pulled a cassette recorder from an inner pocket of his lab coat. He pressed a button and began speaking. "A-13, test successful. The test subject is still alive. A bit of bleeding down the nose and mouth but no other effects." The doctor pressed the tips of his index and middle finger to the side of Oliver's throat; if he had not been weakened by the serum, he definitely would have bitten him. "Pulse is one hundred-fifteen beat per minute. The same results as the last three tests, therefore shall be used as a baseline." Reed moved down Oliver's body, poking and prodding him. "some overall changes overall to A-13's muscle structure,are as follow's, it seems his legs, arms, and torso seem to have increased in size and density.  Protein intake will likely be increased. Serum has weakened the reflexes,for now will have to test that later when he's recovered a bit from the next test." Dr. Reed added after he struck Oliver right below his right kneecap. Oliver did not have the strength to move. "A-13 will be moved to the next portion of the test. With luck, we will have tapped into his genetic material with the serum." He pressed another button then returned the recorder to his pocket. "A-13, you have made so much progress. So much progress."

Oliver narrowed his eyes at the doctor and summoned enough strength to mutter, "My name's Oliver, You dick."

The doctor stared at him for a moment. Then he smiled. "For now." He looked up and nodded to someone Oliver could not see. "Take him to the arena."

A woman, younger than Dr. Reed, with bright blonde hair and green eyes hurried over. A clipboard and pencil were held at the ready. "Are you sure, Doctor? A-13 seems to be needing rest. You have injected him with that serum five times today already and ye- "