Chapter 7 the first words

++sorry its kinda short++

What kind of fuckery was this?

Oliver stared at the contents of the small cardboard box. It had been waiting for him on the island when he woke from a restless sleep. All night, his muscles would spasm randomly and wake him up. He remembered falling out of bed at least twice.

He reached into the box and withdrew the black walkie-talkie. It looked similar to the one Doctor Paige had used yesterday. A bright pink piece of paper had been taped to the back of it. On it was a note written in Jackson's hand-writing; Oliver could recognize that scrawl anywhere after reading it for two years. "Tonight. Mirror. 9 o'clock."

A short laugh burst out of him. This had to be some kind of joke. Was Jackson trying to make a mockery out of all this... this bullshit?

One moment Oliver felt absolute fury, but that instantly drained the next.

Jackson wouldn't do something this cruel to him. The nurse was the closest thing Oliver ever had to a friend, and he had never done anything wrong to him.

Oliver glanced at the clock.

It read one thirty-seven.

"Ugh."

Before Jackson left last night, he had told Oliver that he was to have the day off to rest. Which was a relief, because Oliver may have attacked that fucker who went above the voltage limit. At least his muscles had finally stopped twitching.

Oliver set about busying himself to pass the time. He cleaned up his living area, which only had a kind of comfy sofa, a low metal table, and a bookshelf that had a few books on it. Then he rested on the sofa and read a magazine he had already flipped through a couple times, which resulted in him growing bored and napping until dinner. When he was done eating, he showered then lazed around in his nightwear, and Newt's jacket.

After what felt like the billionth glance at the clock, Oliver decided it was time to go. He grabbed the walkie-talkie from the island and slipped out the door.

His feet barely made a sound as he padded down the hallways. No one was around at this time of night, but Oliver still paused to listen before turning any corners.

"This better not be a fucking joke."

Oliver turned the final corner. No one was on the other side the mirror wall. He sighed quietly. Then movement caught his eye. The door leading out of the cafeteria was opening. Oliver watched as Newt slid into the room beyond the glass. His heart beat picked up the pace, thrumming loudly in his ears. He began to feel flustered, something he noticed the last time he saw Newt. As the other teen approached the wall, Oliver reached up to tap against it. A small smile instantly brightened Newt's face.

Newt approached with confidence then returned the knock. He raised his other hand, and Oliver's mouth dropped open in shock. He was holding a walkie-talkie!

"Jackson, you sly mother-fucker."

Oliver held up his own walkie-talkie, though he knew Newt could not see it.

Newt twisted the knob at the top near the antenna. Oliver followed suit. Both of them waited for the other to speak. Oliver did not know what to say to him. There was so much to tell him - about the serum, about how they were supposedly mates, about how much he enjoyed his company, but Oliver could not breathe a word.

"Oliver?"

Oh wow. Newt's voice was better than Oliver thought it would be. And he had an accent. He must have been brought here from one of the British Isles, possibly England. Oliver closed his eyes for a moment, memorizing the voice of his supposed mate.