16.

[We're back!]

▲ ▲ ▲

"I feel like you're overreacting."

"I'm not." Jersey shook her head as she made her way over toward Malcolm. She tapped on her iPhone screen a few times and held her phone out. "Does this sound like Morgan to you?"

Malcolm glanced over and watched his son. He happily moved his chubby limbs around while staring at the person talking to him. He was too busy watching Harlem; the man didn't pay attention to the voice at all.

"You hear Morgan, right?"

"Huh?" Malcolm touched his beard and said, "Play it again. I was focused on my son."

Jersey sucked her teeth but went ahead and replayed the video. This time, Malcolm listened carefully and investigated the voice. He narrowed his eyes into slits and said, "That's not Morgan."

"It sounds like her."

"Baby..." Malcolm trailed off. "That is June. They sound alike, but June's voice is lighter than Morgan's. And Morgan doesn't live in Brooklyn anymore."

"What?" Jersey pulled her phone back and stared at the video. "But it sounds like Morgan."

"It's not her..." Malcolm trailed off sternly.

"I'm going to make sure it's not her." She tapped on her screen a few times until her phone started ringing. Malcolm realized it was the FaceTime ring. He narrowed his honeyed eyes at Jersey, taking in the sight of her.

"I know you're not about to FaceTime, my moms with that shit?"

"I am because I need to know if-"

"Hi!" Frida greeted warmly as she moved her phone around. She seemed to be in a good mood. Her hair was pulled into a bun, and she wore nice glass frames. Her round lips were coated in gloss, and she sported a natural face.

"Hey."

"Why are you calling me?" Frida questioned Jersey playfully. "Harlem is great. I put him down for a nap about ten minutes ago."

The woman flipped her camera so Jersey would be able to see Harlem. Her baby was fast asleep in the bassinet. Frida purchased it over the weekend, claiming it would be staying at her house. Harlem would use it whenever he stayed over.

Jersey nodded her head gently but didn't speak. Instead of being angry, she grew emotional. Seeing her son just made her feel vulnerable. She ran her hand across her face and took in a deep breath.

"Hey, Jersey."

Jersey looked at the camera and noticed that June had taken over the phone. She was busy running her fingers through her hair as she posed in front of the camera.

"Hey."

"Girl, you good?"

Jersey nodded her head lightly and said, "I'm fine. I just miss my baby."

"He is so adorable." June smiled while leaning her head to the side. "I was playing with him earlier, and he just smiled at me, showing all of his gums. He's such a good baby."

Malcolm shot Jersey a look while chewing the last of his omelet. He rolled them over to his plate with a knowingly look.

"I know."

"I bought him a few outfits. Let my baby wear them because he is growing. I got them big enough to fit him, though."

"Thank you, June." Jersey replied coolly. "He'll wear them."