22.

11:45 a.m.

"Two more interviews..." Malcolm muttered as he used his ink pen to check off one of the names.

Jersey leaned over and wrapped her arm around his. She pressed her face against his shoulder and was able to smell the fabric softener embedded in his shirt. There were also signs of his cologne.

"Mmhm...I'm getting hungry."

"You are?"

Jersey nodded her head slightly as she closed her eyes. She wanted to go home, eat, and relax. However, there were a few tasks she had to handle.

Malcolm woke her up bright and early. The couple decided to schedule some interviews for the traveling nanny position. The job needed to be fulfilled soon since Christmas would be arriving.

Candace set up the job ad and put Givin' Back as the interview location-along with the time and date. It would be a one-day interview event.

"Do you want lunch or something?" Malcolm questioned his girlfriend. "I can get Lesere to take your order...and pick your food up."

Jersey raised and shook her head lightly. "No. I think I can wait until later. I just want...to get these two interviews over with."

Malcolm touched his hairy beard and nodded his head.

The pair went ahead and resumed the interview. The next interviewee made her way inside the room.

Jersey made sure to study the woman walking inside. She looked to be in her twenties and was of average height. Her inky tresses were pulled into a ponytail, and she sported appropriate clothing.

"Hi. You must be...Miranda Cruz."

"That is correct." The woman responded in a thick accent. She took a seat and proceeded to adjust her chair.

The accent threw Jersey off a bit. She glanced over at Malcolm, and he did the same. They both shared a blank look and quickly placed their eyes on Miranda.

It was clear that Miranda was a Hispanic woman and most likely from Latin America.

Jersey had no problem with the interviewee's racial background. That didn't matter. She just wanted to be careful with her son. She didn't know who Miranda was or where she was really from.

"Nice to meet you, Miranda," Malcolm spoke up formally. "I'm Malcolm, and this is Jersey. I know you are here about the traveling nanny position, correct?"

"Yes." Miranda gave Malcolm a soft smile, showing off her perfect teeth. "I saw the job posting on Indeed."

Jersey cleared her throat and decided to speak up. She wanted to feel included in the interview as well.

"Miranda...tell us about yourself...and the jobs you've recently worked at."

Miranda glanced at Jersey and prepared her speech.

The woman talked about her background and discussed her recent jobs. From what they could gather, Miranda was born in Puerto Rico, but she moved to New York at sixteen. She lived with her grandmother, who ran a babysitting business, and decided to start an actual profession.

After graduating high school, she furthered her career by caring for a family of four-The Ackers. A family that didn't sit well with her. She claimed to stay on the job for two years but eventually left due to her issues with the parents.

And then there was another family-The Becketts. Miranda worked there for years until she was recently let go. According to the interviewee, the parents were in the process of divorcing and decided to terminate her.