My Kinda Girl

"I got my eye on a role in this new movie coming up. It's called Something's Got to Give. I would be playing opposite Miss Marilyn Monroe."

"Wow," Annie nodded taking a bite of her sandwich, "That's great."

"Are gals your age fans of me still?"

"I am."

"You're kidding."

"I thought I had died when I fainted that day outside the Sands and woke up with you looking over me. Your voice, Dino, it's incredible."

"My voice might be all I've got now. My first movie since my split with... eh forget it."

"No please," Annie pleaded and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"Ten Thousand Bedrooms was a flop. I just hope everything picks up again. I mean now I got Frank looking after me too, but it's just a new course in life I guess."

"It'll be a good one. I can feel it."

"Me too," he reached for Annie's hand and squeezed it, "Am I allowed to ask about my kid?"

"Why wouldn't you be?" Annie laughed.

"Well, technically, I'm not supposed to know," he chuckled and rubbed his chin, "But I do. So, how are you? How's the little one?"

"I'm much better now," Annie smiled, "And the baby is good too."

"Annie, I suppose we should talk about serious things-"

"Dean- Dino, I don't want you feeling like you have to make an honest woman out of me or something. I want you to fall for me because of me... Not because you 'have to.'"

"But I do want to be with you, Annie. You're special."

"Dino, I think you're wonderful, but we had a one night stand. I think we should at least try to get to know each other."

"Annie?"

"Hmm?" Annie replied.

"You have to promise me something."

"Anything, Dino."

"You won't leave again. Please promise me that. Even if we don't fall madly in love, promise me that you'll stick around so I can take care of you and my kid."

"If that's what you want, then of course."

Annie crawled closer to Dean on the picnic blanket. She nuzzled her head into his chest, taking in the scent of his cologne. Tears suddenly sprung to her eyes. In a life where she never fit in, she now had a place. Dean tangled his fingers in her hair and kissed her head.

She breathed deeply trying not to let the tears escape her eyes. Dean's big eyes met hers and seemed to somehow understand what was running through her head, "You're okay, Baby. You're with me now."

The tears began slipping down her cheeks quickly, "You'll never understand how much those words mean to me, Dino. Truly."

He held her for a few more moments before he broke the embrace, "Well, I plan on crashing Frank's show this evening, so why don't we head on back? You can get all dolled up and come to the show with me."

Annie smiled and nodded, "I would love that."

They arrived back in the suite as the afternoon turned to evening. Frank greeted them in his tuxedo, "Hey, you made it back. You crashing the show this evening, Drunky?"

"Whatever you want, Frank. It's your world; I'm just living in it.

Annie let out a chuckle, "Oh, and he knows."

"Congratulations!" Frank shook Dean's hand, pretending to be clueless.

"I didn't keep a secret very well," Dean laughed.

"I also couldn't keep my breakfast down... That gave it away too."

"Well regardless, I'm happy to see both of you smiling. That's a big difference from last night."

"Hey, we better get freshened up," Dean commented.

They both went off and dressed for Frank's show. When they were both ready, Dean took Annie by the hand and led her down to the Copa Room. They went backstage, and she watched Dean crash Frank's show. It was hilarious, better than she could imagine it. None of it was planned, and it was still perfect. She couldn't believe she was there.

As the show ended, they both extended thank yous to certain individuals in the the audience with Dean saying, "I'd like to thank a special gal for being here tonight. Annie Baby, thanks for being here," he blew her a kiss as she felt a blush spread over her cheeks.

When Frank and Dean returned to the backstage area, Dean kissed her on the cheek, "Are you up for meeting some friends? Several of my pals are here tonight."

"Sure, that's fine."

"We won't be out too late. I'm going golfing in the morning."

Annie chuckled, "I figured."

Dean stared at her for a moment while Annie kicked herself internally. She knew this man in front of her for a grand total of three days. Meanwhile, she had known Dean Martin her whole life.

"I like to golf every morning. Guess Frank told you."

"Oh yeah," she breathed a sigh of relief, "I don't mind at all. I just heard you like to end the party early, so you can go golfing. So I just figured..."

Thankfully, the awkward conversation was interrupted by the raspy voice of a vibrant red head, "Hell of a show, Crooked Pinky!"

"Lucy!" Dean smiled and kissed her cheek.

Annie of course knew the story of the nickname, but feigned confusion, "Crooked Pinky?"

"Annie, I'd like you to meet my good pal, Lucy. Lucy, this is my gal, Annie."

"Oh, you're just gorgeous." Lucy smiled, "And I call him Crooked Pinky because of his amateur boxing days."

Dean held up his hand to display his crooked finger, "Broke it pretty badly, but I was so poor then, I couldn't afford a doctor to set it."

"And now you're Crooked Pinky!" They all laughed and Annie nearly shuddered hearing Lucille Ball's iconic laugh in person.

She was trying to keep her cool, but meeting Lucille Ball?!

Next, a tall, lanky man walked over to them, "Danny, this is my gal, Annie," Dean introduced her.

"Nice to meet you, Annie." He smiled. It was Danny Kaye.

Annie could've fallen over while meeting some of her idols. When the after party started to amp up, Dean gently touched her arm and whispered in her ear, "I'm ready to bounce. What do you say?"

She nodded, feeling quite exhausted herself. They made their way back up to the suite. Dino offered her the shower first when the arrived. She accepted gratefully.

After both of them had showered, they went into the bedroom and laid down. Dean groaned as he did, "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, just getting older I guess. My back kills me after performing anymore."

"How old are you, Dino?"

"I'm 43. What about you, Baby?"

"28," she smiled.

"Not as bad of an age difference as I thought."

She smiled again, "Goodnight, Dino." She kissed his cheek and a blush fell on her own cheeks.

"It's alright, Honey. You can kiss me all you want," he grinned and gave her a sweet, gentle kiss on the lips.