Write to Me from Naples

He had completely and utterly blown Annie away. She stood on the balcony of their hotel overlooking the crystal blue waters of Capri.

As promised, Dean had packed their luggage, and Annie went blindly to the airport. Guy and Angela had taken them along with Charlie to the airport, and Annie tearfully kissed her baby boy goodbye. As they made their way through the airport, Annie tried to guess where they would be going. Dean laughed at her the whole way through as their luggage clickety-clacked all the way across the airport floor.

Finally, they arrived at their gate. Dean stopped in front of the sign that gave away the secret of their destination and pulled Annie close to him, "Well?"

"You're joking... I thought we were going to a beach or something."

He laughed, "It is a beach or something, Honey." He kissed the top of her head, "Well, are you happy?"

"Happy? I'm thrilled! I never thought I would see Italy... My God."

"I've never been myself, but I was talking to Pops about wanting to go somewhere, and he said 'Why don't you go see my homeland?'"

"Wow," Annie felt tears slipping down her cheeks.

"Honey," Dean whispered.

"It's just perfect, and I'm just emotional with the baby... You're wonderful to me."

Now, they stood on the balcony, breathing in the salty air. Annie was unable to believe that this was her life. Finally, she spoke softly, "We have to bring all of the children here someday. All nine of them."

He kissed her cheek, "Whatever you say. It's your world; I'm just living in it."

She chuckled. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure, Honey."

"In my world, you and Jeanne were together until the 70s. What made you and her split?"

"Well, I irritated the hell out of her with some of the things I did. I don't know. We just couldn't take any more of each other. You say in your world that we stayed together until the 70s?"

Annie nodded, "And then you married another woman for a few years, and quickly divorced her. We'll stay together, won't we?"

"That's my intention, Honey."

They sat quietly for a few moments.

"Can I selfishly ask you something?"

Annie nodded.

"Annie, what made you a fan of me back in your world? How did you even know who I was? I'm sure this is a loaded question, but I'm just curious."

"Well, I'll be honest; I loved Frank first," she let out a laugh that made Dino begin snickering. "In a seriousness, I found Frank's music first. He has a song come out that will be timeless, so do you actually."

"Please Christ, tell me it's not 'That's Amore.'"

"Well, that's one of them, but 1964... Mark my words."

A smile crept on to Dino's face.

"Anyway, I happened to find some of your music when I was listening to Frank's... Technology helps you find something you like and then related items if that makes sense... God, Dino... The first time I listened to you sing, it gave me chills, still does sometimes. Your voice is so beautiful and velvety. Then I was interested in everything about you... I did that a lot in the modern world. I would find something or someone I was interested in and then read everything about them. You were no exception. However, in some way, I guess you were. I fell in love with you and never stopped wanting to know more. You weren't a phase."

He smiled.

"You don't know how much you meant to me back then... And then the day that I actually met you..." Annie grew tearful.

"Aww, Honey."

"Just hormones," she sniffed as he pulled her close. Taking a deep breath, "When I met you, I finally found what you had been singing to me about all those years."

It was Dean's turn to grow teary-eyed, "You mean everything to me." His voice was a whisper.

There was a comfortable silence between the two of them that lasted a while.

Finally, Dean spoke, clearing his throat first, "You know, before you came, I thought I was a washed up old man."

"You're not that old," Annie replied.

"I mean it... Jerry and I split and everything went to hell for a few years. My point is... you, Charlie, and this little miracle," his hand lingered on her stomach, "The three of you have helped me be a better everything: a better singer, a better actor, a better friend, a better father, a better husband... I love you, Anne."

"And I love you, Dino."

Hi, all!!! I am going to pause this story here briefly! I'm fighting a bought of writer's block and want to come back to Dino and Annie when I have some fresh ideas!! Thanks for all of your support! ❤️