Chapter 16

----------Kate's Point of View----------

4:00 AM

I woke up with cramps in my stomach, and felt wet. "Shit!" I say out loud. Rick starts to wake up and I flick on the lights to confirm my suspicions. "Are you okay?" He asks now fully awake. "I am," I reply, "but your sheets aren't." I roll over to reveal a puddle of blood underneath me. "Oh," says Rick, "That's okay. You're a girl, and that happens." I sigh and walk off towards his bathroom to get some toilet paper to stuff in my shorts. I can not believe out of all the times to start my period, it has to happen in Rick's bed, while I'm asleep. As I walk to the bathroom, I yell to Rick, "This explains why sex hurt so much last night. See, I told you it wasn't you."

----------Rick's Point of View----------

Kate seems totally embarrassed that she bled all over my sheets, but she seems to be forgetting the part that they can be washed. I follow her into the bathroom and watch her stuff a large wad of toilet paper into her underwear. I felt relieved when she explained that her period was the reason sex hurt last night and it wasn't actually me. I figure most guys are probably grossed out by anything period related, but living with women all the time and taking care of a teenage daughter without a Mom to help her, I have gotten pretty familiar with this type of thing. "I've got to go to my apartment," said Kate as she began to quickly grab her stuff. I followed her to the front door and asked, "You're coming back right?" She froze and said after a few seconds, "Maybe. I'll call you." and quickly left my apartment. I changed the sheets and awaited Kate's call.

----------Kate's Point of View----------

When I got home, I put all my blood soiled clothing into a bucket with cleaning agents. Then I inserted a tampon and took a record quick shower, simply to remove any blood from my body. I am so ridiculously embarrassed, that I don't even want to call Rick, but I promised I would. I lay on my bed after dressing in new pajamas, and dial his number. "Oh thank god," I hear Rick say. "I was beginning to think something happened to you." "I had girl problems to take care of, incase you forgot," I say. "Yeah, I know, so are you coming back to my room?" he asks. "Ummm..." I start. "Kate, I know you are upset for bleeding on my bed, but it isn't a big deal. They are just sheets, and I care about you a million times more. In fact, once Alexis slept with me when she wasn't feeling well, and she did the same thing, although she bled on my pants too. I'm telling you, it doesn't bother me at all," Rick said. "Alright, I'll come back, but," All of the sudden I got an overwhelming feeling I was going to vomit. "Oh crap," I muttered into the phone before sprinting to the bathroom. I vomited a lot and started to feel lightheaded before everything suddenly went black.

----------Rick's Point of View----------

I was talking to Kate when all of the sudden she muttered 'Oh crap' and I heard vomiting in the background. Then I heard a loud crash followed by silence. "Kate?" I ask. I hear no response, so I quickly bolt out of my apartment and run down four flights to Kate's. I turn the handle and luckily find in unlocked. I quickly sprint to the bathroom and find Kate passed out on the floor, and a lot of puke in the toilet. I freak out internally, but try to calm down as much as possible. I check to make sure she is breathing and that her heart is still beating. They both are, so I call Lanie, because she probably knows what to do next.

Lanie answers the phone, panting like she has been running a marathon. "What's wrong Castle? And why are you calling me this early?" she asks. I chose to ignore the fact that I interrupted her having sex, and get to the point. "Kate is passed out on the bathroom floor with a lot of vomit in the toilet. What do I do?" I ask. "Does she have a pulse and is she breathing?" Lanie asks quickly. "Yes to both," I say. "She is also on her period if that is relevant," I add figuring it might be related. "That is what I was just going to ask," says Lanie. "It happens frequently when she is on her period. Just lay her on her side with her feet raised, and she should wake up in a few minutes. I've got to go, but call me if she doesn't wake up shortly," Lanie says before hanging up. I position Kate as instructed and patiently wait. About one minute later, a groan escaped from Kate's mouth and she started to wake up. She looked like she was going to throw up, so I sat her up so she could vomit in the toilet. "Thanks," Kate murmured as she turned to face me. "Always," I reply. "Can I have some water?" she asked. I nodded and got her a glass of water. Kate rinsed her mouth and then chugged the rest of it. "Do you think your done throwing up?" I ask. "Yeah," Kate replys. I flush the toilet and then pick her up and carry Kate to her bed. I sit beside her and she asks, "Did I pass out?" "Yeah," I reply. She nods her head and asks, "You didn't call 911, right?" "No, but I did call Lanie. Apparently I interrupted her having sex, but she told me what to do. She also told me that this happens almost every time you get your period," I say. "Oh, well thanks," She replies quietly. "I do have one question though. Why didn't I notice this vomiting each month the four years we worked together?" I ask. "Uhh... well, for one thing, I only get my period every two to three months, and I usually called in sick. When I was twenty-one, I got diagnosed with ovarian cancer, so one of my ovaries had to be removed. Even though the doctors said that nothing would change, my vomiting got more frequent, I started to faint, and my period started only coming four to six times a year," Kate explained. "Oh, well, I'm sorry that this happens to you frequently. Can I carry you upstairs to my apartment or do you want to stay here?" I asked. "I'll go with you, just let me grab a few things," Kate said.

----------Kate's Point of View----------

I grab a few tampons and a set of clothes, before stuffing them in a bag. I let Rick carry me to his apartment and set me down on his bed. I notice he changed the sheets, but I don't say anything. My cramps start coming back really badly and I clutch my stomach without realizing it. Rick tucks me in under the covers and then leaves the room. I hear the microwave running and two minutes later, he appears again. "I brought you this," Rick says as he hands me a fuzzy warm bag. "It is called a bed buddy. I bought it for Alexis when she used to get leg cramps from playing soccer, but I figured it would work well on your cramps," he explains. I tuck it between my pants and underwear and lean over to give Rick a kiss on the lips. "Thanks. You are the best," I say. He shuts off the light and crawls under the covers with me. Rick pulls me into his arms and kisses my forehead. "Can I hold you, or do you not want me to touch you?" Rick asks. "This is perfect," I murmur before letting sleep consume me for the next few hours.