Part 21

A week later Nicky hadn't shown any signs off progress. He wouldn't talk to anyone, he didn't respond to any affectionate gestures... he didn't even eat so they had to keep him in hospital. Shane went to see him every day, Fee stayed with Shauna in the house, but Nicky was just lying staring at the wall, and he didn't get much out off watching Nicky's motionless back.

'If you haven't eaten some of that lunch before I come back in 20 minutes we're gonna have to put you on tube feeding. Can't have you on drip forever you know.' Shane watched in despair as the nurse snapped at Nicky, sat him up and left with a stern look on her face. Nicky just stared straight ahead of him, and made no attempt to eat the soup that had been offered to him.

Shane suddenly felt like he'd had enough of Nicky's behaviour, and walked over to his bed, sitting down beside Nicky. There was no response. He placed his hand on Nicky's shoulder, 'Nicky?' There still wasn't any response. He ran his hand down Nicky's arm, and this time Nicky shuddered slightly. 'Nicky, come on... look at me.' Nicky stubbornly kept looking straight ahead, but then he suddenly turned his head and looked straight at Shane for the first time in a week.

Shane held his breath as he caught Nicky's gaze. He felt so relieved, happy... all positive feelings he could think off. Nicky moved slightly closer to Shane, and Shane embraced him, realising how thin he was. Nicky buried his face in Shane's chest, and Shane felt happier than he ever had before. If Nicky started to let people back into his life he'd at least have taken another step towards accepting the fact that he was terminally ill.

Shane stroke his hair. 'Will you eat something for me Nicky?' Nicky nodded and sat up. Shane found the bowl of soup and started to feed Nicky, although he knew Nicky would be well able to do it himself, but he didn't protest so Shane continued. By the time the nurse came back Nicky had finished everything. He moved even closer to Shane, resting against his chest. 'I'm tired,' he declared and yawned as he closed his eyes, falling into a peaceful sleep in Shane's safe embrace