Chapter 29

Dream wasn't scared of dying, on the contrary, he knew that most mafia leaders were bound to meet untimely deaths. Most of them died young, before they even had a chance to fully experience what life had to offer. It was just what you signed up for when you joined, and it was unavoidable if you wanted to hold a place at the top.

So Dream had prepared himself for that to be the outcome. While he certainly would have preferred to live a long life, he knew very well that he most likely wouldn't. He wasn't naive, he was practical in the way he went into every meeting expecting that it could be the last.

Since his father's death, Dream had wondered countless times what it was like. He wondered if there was anything after, or if was just quiet and dark. He had hoped it would be peaceful, but since the bullet from George's gun had pierced his skin, it had been anything but.

Immediately after George had shot him, there had been nothing, just darkness. But then Dream could hear voices, but they were muffled and sounded so distant. He could hear George crying, could swear he heard Sapnap's worried voice cutting through the darkness. He could even feel hands on him, jostling him and trying to move him. But he couldn't see any of it, couldn't manage to pry his eyes open and take in anything around him.

And that was because he was dying, or at least that's what he figured. Nothing else really made sense, because no matter how badly he wanted to open his eyes and say "I'm okay", he just couldn't seem to do it.

He wouldn't get a chance to anyway, because shortly after he registered hearing Sapnap's voice, everything went dark and quiet again. It stayed that way for a long time; no voices surrounding him, no light, there was just nothing at all.

And that's when it finally settled in, Dream knew that this was it. He was dead, and George had been the one to kill him.

That thought lingered with him for a long time. How long, he couldn't be sure, because time didn't seem to exist wherever he was. But it felt like a lifetime, a lifetime of trying to come to terms with the fact that he had stupidly been in love with George, but George had only been using him this whole time.

And the more he thought about it, the more he could almost hear George's voice speaking to him. It wasn't in the way Dream would have expected, there were no comforting words or tear soaked apologies. In fact, if Dream really strained enough, he could almost hear two familiar voices, but it was almost as if they weren't speaking to him at all.

"George, are you serious? You went to the vending machine and you didn't even ask me if I wanted something?"

"I'm not your mother, Sapnap. If you're hungry, get up and get something to eat."

"That's not the point. You could at least offer if you're going, you did the same exact thing with the coffee this morning."

"So? I'm still not seeing your point."

"My point, George, is that decent human beings offer to get things for other people when they're already making the trip."

"Quit being such a baby, Sapnap. It's a bag of chips, you don't need to act like it's the end of the world."

Dream wished he could laugh at the irony of the situation, that even in death he couldn't escape the constant bickering of Sapnap and George.

But it didn't make any sense, why was he suddenly hearing them fight over vending machines and chips?

Dream tried to focus harder, picking up on more things like the ruffling of clothes as someone moved, and the distant beeping of some unknown machine. And then bright lights were flooding the edges of everything, and Dream fought hard to let more light flood in, to let himself be drawn closer towards the familiarity of the voices.