Chapter 11

MARCUS

There is definitely a connection between Miss Koala and I, with her hidden stares and whimsical smiles.

Should I explore it?

Our supposed connection was put on hold when the staff door opened suddenly and in came what I think were the owners of Decorazione, if my memory serves me, Marie and Joseph Vendicio were husband and wife.

"Whoa!" Marie exclaimed as she saw me.

"Who is this, Sam?" She asked cautiously as she circled around and saw my entire being.

I just kept on sipping my coffee, as I tried to hide the small smile that was slowly curving on the corner of my lips.

"This is Marcus." Samantha introduced me formally. "He is an artist who is looking for a job." She finished.

I stood up instinctively, wiped my right hand on my pants and shook their hands firmly.

Tsk! My manners betrayed me. I was really trying hard to play my part as an ill-mannered grungy artist.

I sat back down and tried to immersed myself once more with the character I was playing.

"Do you have any references?" Joseph was the one to ask as he was looking at my pathetic resume on the table that Samantha slid towards him.

"No." I simply said.

"Anybody to talk to?" Marie supplied.

"Uhuh!" I shook my head.

I heard all of them sigh simultaneously.

Tough crowd we got here, eh!

I have to give my spiel.

"Look guys." I started. "I know I am nothing to look at and I know I just met you all, but these should not be a hindrance to you not hiring me." I sold myself.

Four years in Ivy League business school, I should be a pro at selling my best product, namely me.

"I tell you what. You guys can test me out." I started to weave my innuendo.

I saw Marie scratched her head and Joseph his chin.

Gotcha!

"I can work here and do some small jobs here and there without pay for the next month." I convinced.

"Then after a month, you can tell me if I am hired or not. No strings attached." I sipped on the coffee again.

Silence...awkward silence.

"No salary for a month." Marie said broke in.

"Plus, we get an extra hand in the shop." Joseph added.

"If he really is as good as he said, we might had hit the jackpot." Samantha put in.

"Hmm..." They said together.

"Make it two months without pay." I heard Marie bartered.

I scratched my fake stubble as I thought of my prospects. A minute later I nodded my head.

"You're hired." Marie spoke for all three of them.

"Thank you." I patted myself on the back in my head. I still have the touch.

I smirked as I drank the rest of my coffee.

It really was good coffee.