Chapter 3

Nick

The sun today is ridiculously hot. Ugh, it burns on my skin. I head in my condo to put some more sunscreen and see Kate, still at the computer.

"When will you ever get off? It's not yours, and I really need it. Plus, don't you have a pool party to organize? You know, the DJ won't book itself."

Kate puts on her annoyed look and walks away from the computer. I quickly grab it and check my Facebook profile. It's so boring when the person you really want to talk to is offline. As I head outside, I hear my sister yelling: "Nick, don't forget to clean up your room! Dad will be furious if you don't!"

Oh, I really don't want Dad to be mad. I quickly go to my room and make my bed, pick up my clothes and put everything at its place. When I am satisfied enough, I let myself down on my bed, thinking about everything I have planned for the next two weeks here. I just can't wait to do it all! I just hope Dad won't always be on my case, it'll be heavy. I turn on the television and look at the weather forecast for the week. Wow, some heat records for the next couple of days.

I check the time. 3:30. I still have time to go take a breath of fresh air outside before I go meet my friends. I met them last year, at the park, and they're really nice. They're from this city so it was easy for them to see each other throughout the year, but since I am from Canada, I don't see them that often. This afternoon's soccer meet is scheduled since last year, so I'll try and not be late. I open the first drawer of my bedside table and rummage through a scramble of random stuff, trying to find the sunscreen. Where is it? Ugh, I bet my sister has it. I head into the living room to find her, but she's not there. I turn around and see her talking to someone. I try to see to whom she's talking, and when I see her, I am left without words. I don't know her, but she looks like the kind of girl-next-door, a down-to-earth person. She is really stunning, to be honest. She has that natural beauty, not the one that comes with a lot of makeup, but the one that comes just by the way she smiles. What a beautiful smile she has! Her turquoise eyes sparkle when she smiles. She has beautiful, long, and wavy blond hair. But she looks like a good girl. The type of girl who would study instead of going to parties, or prefer apple juice to vodka. What just happened? This has never happened to me before. It seemed like the time stopped when I was looking at her.

I snap out of my daydream when Kate shuts the door. "What do you want, Nick? Don't just stare at the door like this, you look weird." Me, staring at the door? I did not do this. Anyways, I think I should answer her question.

"Where have you put the solar cream? It's hot out there and the sun is boiling. It's not where I left it." She looks at me, exasperated.

"Come, I'll show you where I put it." We go in to the living room and she points me the small table next to the couch. It's a pretty obvious place, I wonder why I haven't seen it yet. I grab the bottle and pour some in my hand. I spread it all over myself. When I am done, I put the bottle back where I found it and return outside, but with my shades this time.

I wait for my friend, Fred, under the palm tree by the pool. My bag is really starting to weigh on my shoulder. I put it down, and I turn around and see the girl by the pool, the same girl I saw talking with my sister minutes ago. I must admit, bikinis look good on her. Her turquoise eyes are hidden behind her Ray-Bans, but it looks like she's looking my way. I quickly try to look away, and I hear her giggling. How cute!

I see Fred from afar and I go meet him at the gate. From all the friends, I had missed him the most. We do our special handshake and I am pretty surprised that he remembered it.

"What up, bro? It's been a while! Come on, Nick, we're almost late for the meet!" I look behind me and see the girl, again. I really should have gone and spoken to her. I hope Kate invited her to the party!

We both arrive at the meet, right on time. We start by kicking the ball around, but we quickly go on to the game.

"Hey, Ontario! Let's see if you have gotten any better than last year!" Ontario, that's my nickname. I think it's useless to explain that it's because I come from there. Wow, the guys have gotten better! I have to step up my game! I get the ball and pick up speed, dodging everyone in my way. I kick the ball right in the goal and make a point for my team. Looks like I have gotten better, too! We take a small break to catch our breath.

"So, Ontario! Something new since last summer?" Ugh, I hate questions.

"No, Will. Things have been going pretty slow at home." I hate lying, but I didn't want to answer all kinds of other questions.

"Guys, why all the talking? We should be playing right now. Go ahead and try to get your revenge!" I stare right into their eyes, daring.

"Nick, you are such a horrible liar! If you don't want to talk about it, just say so, but not now. I'm taking my revenge!" Fred is the only one who can see when I'm lying, but it's okay. We go back to our game and play until sunset. When I arrive home, she's all I can think about. She really took my breath away, and I still don't understand why it happened. Why does she seem so different than any other girl I've gone out with? It really confuses me. It must be her eyes, they are so special. Or maybe her long, wavy and flowing golden hair. I fall asleep, thinking about her, and I make sweet dreams, with her in them.

The picture on the right is Katie -->