Chapter 3

Better

As usual, eating with my family makes me feel left out. They would converse by themselves, Dad and Kuya then Mom and Ate. It's funny to think I am here but it seems I wasn't at all. Mas okay pa mga kasambahay namin kasi nakikita ako at inaasikaso. Di naman bulag mga kasama ko sa hapag di ba?

I can always skip eating with them because they wouldn't even know. My presence wasn't that big for anyone to notice. I swallowed all my food with so much water before but now, I can even enjoy my food without feeling anything. Just maybe a little jealousy and hope that someday I would be a part of this so called family.

"I heard you have a fiancé." My spoon halted midair when I heard my sister's voice. The harshness and sarcasm is so evident. I just nodded when she suddenly smirked.

"You need to be accommodating to him and behave yourself, Rayla. He is the only son of our business partner, we need them." My dad told me with so much coldness. "Their family owe us before that they agreed so don't mess this up."

"If they don't like her, I can just replace her." Confident na sabat ni Ate habang hinagod ako ng tingin. "I'm better than her anyway." Edi ikaw na!

"Your grandparents and his made that arrangement a long time ago and they decided it should be her, my dear." malambing na sabi ni Mom kay Ate. "Besides, nobody could match to my daughter, not even that Madrigal heir." Nagmamalaking tuloy niya.

"No one can break this arrangement, you understand Rayla? So do your best and don't fail us again." I nodded and they resumed eating while I stared at my plate full of food. Ilang subo pa lang nabusog agad ako- sa sama ng loob.

Dapat pala di ko na tinanggihan ang dinner na alok ng Toby na yun. Baka mas nakakain ako ng maayos.

After that night, I've decided to meet Toby again. As instructed by my dad, I should be on his side for the sake of our company. Kami ang nangangailangan kaya dapat kami ang magsasakripisyo.

When I saw him walking and talking with his friends in their college corridors, I gathered all my courage to talk to him. Good thing, I know where is he is because I have been here before because of Ian. Tucking my hair and fixing my all white uniform, I walked towards their direction.

"Toby?" I awkwardly said to get his attention. Even saying his name feels weird for me.

He looked shocked to see me even his friends stopped at their tracks when they saw me. All their attention turned to me especially all of them are super loud earlier, I can even hear crickets with their sudden silence.

"Raja? What- uhm, what are you doing here?" A little smile on his lips. Some of his friends even laughed at him because of his stutter. So nervous?

"Can I talk to you? If you're free, of course." Compared from last time, I look like a sheep in front of a lion, so behaved and didn't want to make mistake which might cause me to lose my life.

"He's not free, pretty but for you I can be." One of the dudes he is with butted in. I looked at him one brow raised, when Toby pushed him aside. "Chill bro!" he laughed as he playfully punched Toby on the shoulders.

"Whatever, I need to go. I'll see if I am free tonight for the party." paalam nito bago ako tinabihan.

"Sus, baka di ka na free dahil kay Miss." bumaling ang isa sa akin. "Sama ka kay TJ maya sa party ha?" aya nito sa akin. I titled my head to look at Toby for a little help, he pushed then that other guy too, a little stronger now.

"Later bro." Nagpaalam ang iba sa amin bago natatawang naglakad paalis. Ang iba nga kinantyawan pa si Toby, he just shake his head with a smile on his lips.