Bouquet

I wipe away the sweat from my brow as I smile proudly at the field before me. It's only my second year in Stardew Valley but I feel like I'm really getting the hang of things. With my new sprinkler system set up, I definitely feel this season's harvest is going to be a good one! 

I quickly dust off the dirt on my clothes and head inside to take a quick shower which leads me to reflect on my life so far. Not only is the farm doing great, but so am I! Life on the farm is hard work but, in comparison to my life working at Joja Corp, I've never been happier! I've managed to make a lot of new friends in this town. Somehow...I even managed to gain a best friend.

Shane was the one I had grown closest to in my first year. Sure he's a little rough around the edges but, once you get to know him he's a really great guy. I've seen him during his lowest points and he's seen me during mine. If there's ever a time when one of us needs someone to lean on, we'll be there for each other in a heartbeat. 

That's probably one of the reasons I've started to develop a crush on Shane in the first place. But... I also think I might have had a crush on him since we first met and if I'm being honest, our friendship has only caused those feelings to grow deeper. So after a week or so of internal debate I've decided that today I would finally confess my feelings and buy him a bouquet! 

As soon as I finished getting ready for the day I bolted out of my house and made my way to Pierre's! Bursting through the door to the shop Pierre looks at me with a wide smile on his face. 

"Why, hello farmer! If your excitement is anything to judge by, I'm guessing you're here for one of these." He holds up a bouquet and smirks. 

My face instantly flushes red and I feel my confidence die down. With a nervous laugh I do my best to play it off as nothing special. "Uhhhh, yeah. I mean. Yes. Yes I did come to purchase a bouquet. Is...was I being that obvious?" I say with a sheepish grin. 

He laughs in response at my flustered state. "Just a tad bit. Plus no one's ever bursting through the door with that much excitement to buy groceries. Anyways, that'll be 200 gold!"

I clear my throat, "Right. Of course". I place the money on the counter and awkwardly scratch the back of my neck. Maybe giving Shane a bouquet is easier said than done.

Pierre takes the money and hands me the bouquet. I turn to leave but as I make my way to the door Pierre shouts out, "Good luck farmer! I'm sure Shane will say yes!" 

As soon as I heard Shane's name I froze in place and felt my face start to burn. "How...how do you know it's for Shane?", I say turning around slowly. 

He lets out an even bigger laugh than before and replies, "Farmer, anyone with eyes can see the two of you have got something going on! You're both very bad at hiding it."  

I feel my face grow warmer. I guess I was being pretty obvious with my feelings. Any free time I had was usually spent with Shane. Whether it be helping him with chores at Marnie's, gifting him his favorite foods, or staying up late into the night with him playing video games. 

I carefully place the bouquet in my backpack and give Pierre a nervous smile. "Well uh. I guess you're right Pierre. So uh, I guess I better get going then, right?"

He gives me an encouraging nod. "Right. And again, good luck! I have complete confidence that he'll accept it!" 

I give a wave goodbye before I make my way towards Marnie's Ranch. Marnie gives me a knowing smile as I walk through the door which adds to my nervousness. I guess my face was still red. She shoots me a wink and tells me good luck before letting me know that Shane is in his room. Is everyone going to tease me today? I find it a bit embarrassing that she knows I only really visit her house to see Shane. Even more so now that she seems to know I've come over today to confess my feelings towards him. I quickly let out a thank you before I lose any more confidence and I walk into Shane's room. 

He's sitting on his bed playing a game on his tv but he quickly pauses it once he sees me walk in. "Y/n! Um, hi. What brings you over today?" 

I waved at him with a shy smile and walked over to sit down next to him. In the split second that our eyes met, I decided to just confess right then and there. If I was going to do this, I was going to do it like ripping off a band aid. So I opened my backpack and wordlessly held out the bouquet to him,  looking anywhere that wasn't his direction. 

Shane looks down at it confused before his eyes widen as he registers what I'm holding.  A smile slowly creeps onto his face as he takes the bouquet and looks at me. "...You want to get more serious? I feel the same way."

I turn my head to look at him and smile as relief floods into my system. I wrap him into a tight hug and bury my face into his chest. He accepted the bouquet! 

Shane laughs and hugs me back just as tightly before pulling away. "I'm kind of nervous. Aren't you?", he says with a soft smile on his face. 

"Yes! Of course I'm nervous! I really want things to work out between us, y'know?" 

"Yeah I know. I want this to work out too and uh, I actually have something for you too." I look at him curiously as he reaches down and pulls out a bouquet from under his bed.

"I actually bought this earlier this morning. I guess we had the same idea, huh?" He says as he looks down at the bouquet he purchased and hands it to me. 

I laugh as I take it from him. Both of us holding our bouquets with bright smiles on our faces. "Yeah. I guess we did."