Chapter Two

Sophia had reached the reading girl on the bench. "Hey Blair." She waved. Blair obviously stiffened and quickly looked up from the pages.

"Sophia! Uh w-what are you doing here?"

"I wanted to get some homework done at the library." Sophia said in a "duh" tone, pointing across the street.

"The library's closed, and you need to get out of here, now!" Blair stood up and turned her around, pushing her in the opposite direction of her intended location.

"Why is it closed?" She obviously asked, barely budging.

"It just is! Now come on!" She pushed harder, urging the tall girl to go faster. Leaning back on Blair as to keep herself upright, since Sophia is tall and skinny while the girl behind her is somewhat shorter but a lot more fit, it clicked to her that this was indeed not the way her house was located. Sophia swiftly turned around, making her friend lose her balance and stumble forward at loss of resistance.

"My house is this way though." Sophia started to speed walk in the direction of the library. Struggling to get up off the pavement, Blair yelled out.

"No wait, you c-" Her voice got drained out by the sound of the large bell that sat in the middle of the town, ringing once, twice, three times, before all went silent.

Blair's eyes went wide as Sophia was almost right across the street from the library, her long legs doing their job of getting places fast.

Her rhythmic foot sets turned into none at all as she's swept off her feet in a mixture of heat and pressure. It sent her flying into the ground, out of instinct she covered her head.

What felt like hours but could only be minutes she looked up from her safe haven in the concrete to the source of the explosion.

The library.

Watching in amazement as scorching paper fell from the sky like black and red snow. But instead of a numbing cold, the flakes only brought painful burns to Sophia's skin while she watched them float and sway in the wind onto her now blackened figure.

She was still mesmerized by the pictures and words of an old man that seemed endless when a figure approached her, much too large to be her friend from before.

Scarlet listened to the first two bells ring and shake the air, anticipating the third one. Hovering her thumb over the button she waited, and as the bell began to ring once more, she felt her body smash through the window in front of her, landing on the shattered glass that scattered the concrete below it.

Wincing, she tried not to move to decrease the damage as much as possible. Scarlet realized that she couldn't get up because there was a large man on top of her. The ignition button had been knocked out of her hands from the tackle and was just out of arm's reach.

The final bell had stopped its loud banging and silence filled the air. That is until its split with various explosions happening all over the country at the exact same time, all but Scarlett's but that's not stopping her now.

The small girl used her energy to reach forward and try to grasp the button that's sitting inches away from her fingertips. A hand then reaches over her and grabs it. The weight slightly coming off of her back, rookie mistake. The tan girl was able to pull her legs up under her then bucked her hips up sending the man flying. She got up, ignoring the glass sticking out of her cuts like flower stems in cracked concrete.

Looking around she could see all the blood that covered her and the glass below but she was numb, the adrenaline pumping through her veins not allowing her to feel the effects.