Chapter Two

'What were you thinking, Claire? That was far too intense!' I chided myself, and bit my lip in an attempt to settle my anxiety.

It was the truth though. Sherry and I did need him. I couldn't imagine being able to handle this all on my own. From the moment we met, and each little meeting throughout that horrific night, he had been my comfort; my reminder that I wasn't alone. Heck, I'd been so relieved to see him again after we got separated that in my giddiness I'd even flirted through that darn fence!

Just remembering how desperately I'd wanted to touch him and had eagerly poked my fingers through to embrace his made my face flush scarlet. Shaking away my embarrassment, I quietly opened the door to Sherry's room and tiptoed inside.

The afore-mentioned blonde was curled up sweetly with her small hands folded under her head like she was saying a prayer and breathing in and then out in adorable little puffs. I felt a surge of almost overwhelming affection and protectiveness at the sight of my beautiful baby girl.

'There is really no other way to explain it,' I thought as the feeling of possessiveness joined the others. When my gaze had met the eyes of the then terrified little girl for the first time, an all-encompassing need to nurture and protect had been born. My very soul seemed to have reached out and claimed the child. There had never been even the slightest chance of fighting it. I have always been an advocate for "following your heart" and the sleeping angel in front of me had a very big chunk of mine. So much so that I had been unable to leave and search for my brother like I had originally intended.

I worried a lot about Chris still, but had sent out what messages I could to his known teammates in hopes that someone would be able to get me answers. I'd also caved in easily to Leon's point about how vast Europa was and the fact that she didn't even have a starting destination.

'Of course, those silently pleading baby blues hadn't done my argument any favors either...' I grumbled to myself.

"Sherry? Sherry, baby. Time to wake up, honey." I gently shook the child's shoulder.

Innocent robin's egg blue eyes blinked open and looked around before settling on my face. A wide smile followed by an even bigger yawn and a soft, "good morning, Claire." The little girl stretched her hands high over her head, sat up, and slid her toes into the slippers next to her bed. They were actually mine from my childhood visits, pink and fluffy, before her mother had given up on my being a traditional "girl".

Sherry's room was decorated in the same fashion; handmade furniture (like the rest of the house) with pink and lace bedding, curtains, and even a child-sized vanity in the corner that was white and pink. Thankfully, Sherry had loved it immediately.

'Mom would be so happy to know her granddaughter approved of the little princess theme... I had always wanted to be the dragon,' I thought with a smirk.

Walking to the door, I held it open and teased, "I've made pancakes. Better hurry before Leon eats them all!"

Sherry gasped, sleepiness fading, and ran out still in her frilly pink nightgown. Giggling, I followed her back out to the kitchen where she was giving Leon a hug and saying good morning.

Pulling her chair out for her, he leaned down and said, "it is a good thing you hurried. I'm so hungry I almost started without you." Looking up from pushing her in he sent me a wink and a smile to show he had heard my earlier statement and was playing along.

My stomach fluttered with sudden butterflies and I could feel myself blushing again. 'How does he keep doing that to me today?' I wondered. Trying not to show how much it had affected me, I settled for reminding Sherry to say thank you to Leon for seating her. The girl piped up with a quick "thank you, Leon" while she spread syrup over her breakfast.