Chapter Four

After making sure that Sherry was happy with the makeshift picnic, I turned most of my attention to my partner. Sneaking frequent glances at him as we ate and talked, I watched for the return of his earlier despondency, relieved to see it replaced with light and mirth.

Once we had our fill to eat, I had launched into an explanation of the whirlwind romance between Hugh and Margret McGregor. I told them how they had met down in Texas at Maggie's cousin's wedding where she had been obliged to travel as the Maid of Honor. They first laid eyes on each other at the rehearsal dinner that the Bride and Groom has actually despaired of him being able to attend. In fact, he had been announced to the group as the "elusive Best Man". They fell to talking, at first of the coming ceremony and their duties, and before they knew it they were closing up the restaurant!

The couple ended up talking all through the reception the next day as well and ended with an invitation to view his property (which was an over 40-acre cattle ranch) and also Maggie's last day there before going back home. He picked her up the next day and ended up proposing to her by his pond with a handful of wildflowers. She had agreed and the rest was history. They had been married nearly 45 years now and had two children; a son named Brandon and a daughter named Annabelle. Annabelle had gotten married soon after graduation and had two girls and another little one on the way when The Accident had happened, and my brother and I hadn't been able to be back since, so I didn't know if it had been a boy or a girl.

My listeners laughed at the silly parts (I found I really liked the sound of his laugh; it had such a warm quality to it.) and Sherry looked a bit starry-eyed. It was a beautiful story and one of my favorites growing up. Of course, Gigi Mae's would always be number one for me.

"So that's what you were referring to when you said 'when it's right, it's just right'"? Leon asked. I nodded, and he gave a low whistle. "Wow, three days... and it turned into 45 years. That's pretty crazy."

"Yes, but people can achieve anything if they are willing to put in the work. It's not like they didn't have troubles or disagreements, but they really loved each other and they never allowed those problems to be greater than their affection for the other," I said, partially to emphasize the enormity of their feat and to indirectly impose upon Sherry the requirements for such a happy ending (she was looking a little too dreamy).

It must have worked because she focused back on me and started asking questions about how old the kids were, did I think they would be there when we had dinner over there, were we going to make something to take for it and could she help me make if we were bringing a dish? Laughing, I did my best to answer her.

Sometime later, we started the process of cleaning up the living room and moving things back to their respective places. Sherry pouted a little, but perked up when I told her she could pick out tonight's movie for us. We moved the leftover food to the dining table, and put the blankets and plants back. The bears went back in Sherry's room except for the worn dark brown one that belonged to Chris and went back into Leon's room.

The wind was rattling the shutters and you could hear the heavy pattern of rain on the roof. I stoked the fire and threw in a bit more wood before scanning the room one last time to be sure everything was back to normal.

There was an older TV set by a built-in bookshelf full of VHS tapes on the left side of the room that had the club style sofa and armchairs arranged in a way that let whomever sat on the couch see both the front and back doors and out the large front and the smaller dining room windows at the same time while being close enough to the corner fireplace to receive the benefits. The sofa had a quilt with the Irish Blessing embroidered on it, folded and draped over the back.