Prologue

One year ago

My eyes burned staring into the computer screen, the air was blistering, but I was too focused to turn on the heat. The only thing I've heard the last hour was the keyboard clicks, and my own heavy breathing.

I looked over the last paragraph in my essay, scanning for any mistakes, and finally... it looked presentable. I worked months just to get here, and now I'm finally completed!

"Lovely, Two years, and Two months left of school" I laughed.

My alarm clock started buzzing next to me, the annoying ringing echoed through my ears, and I couldn't have been quicker to hop up.

"Oh well, I guess it's time to get the little one," I sighed grabbing my Michael Kors purse.

On the ride over to Asta's Daycare, I decided it would be fun to get two strawberry sprinkled donuts, but Diego's Donuts was closed so I just went ahead and got Asta.

A swarm of cars filled the parking lot, and throughout the millions of kids, I couldn't find my daughter. I tried to open the car door, and a mom ran by with her pudgy little kid pushing my door closed.

"What the fuck? Is it that big of a rush? We're all here to get our fucking kids," I scoffed reopening the door.

My heels clicked across the concrete walking up to the building. I looked up towards the rose garden and saw Asta sitting alone on a bench.

"Hi baby," I called out in a sweet tone.

She looked up, her eyes instantly lit up like fireworks, and screamed," Mommy! I missed you so much! Can we please please get jelly jelly today?"

"Yes sweetie," I smiled kissing her on the cheek," We will stop by Jellyz and get some donut holes."

"Thank you, mommy," she giggled twirling around in her sparkly pink dress.

As we walked away a man approached us, his child hung onto his dark denim jeans, and somehow his shoes were still so white. His wrist had a beautiful diamonds bracelet, and a matching Rolex watch on the other side. His eyes were covered with his Gucci sunglasses, but he looked down at the ground insecurely.

"I- I'm sorry to bother you..I- I just...uh...could I take you out sometime," He stuttered.

My face blushed over bright red, Asta smiled at the little boy, then back at me. She tugged on my arm, then nudged her head...hinting that I needed to answer soon.

"Oh, I'm very busy this week bu-"

"Oh, sorry," the man sighed beginning to turn away.

"Wait! Is next week okay? Next Friday at 6? My schedule's just busy with the kiddo," I gasped.

He turned back around with a smile, and his little boy detached from the man's leg. Then the little boy held his hand out to me, I shook it, and he giggled. Asta hid behind my back, trying to hide her face from the cute little boy.

"Looks like the kids already made a friend," I hinted pointing down at the boy.

"Hopefully I have too," He smiled then handed me a piece of paper," Here's my number. Give me a call if you're still interested. I need an idea of what type of place to take such a beautiful lady, but first, we need to chat. Usually, I get it right, but please remind me if I'm totally off track! I wouldn't want to take a vegetarian to a steak house."

"Definitely, but just so we're clear. Asta and I love chicken nuggets" I giggled grabbing the slip.

When I got back to the car Asta started jumping up and down with excitement. She jumped right into her seat and quickly picked up her Barbie sitting next to her car seat. She started patting down the doll's hair and kicking her light-up shoes like crazy.

I buckled up my seat belt, grabbed my purple fuzzy key chain, and started up the car. I turned on Asta's favorite song and heard her soft mumbled cover in the back.

"You're my sweetheart," she sang gradually getting louder.

Jellyz must have had another insane deal going on because the parking lot was packed completely full. Lucky for Asta, I was already determined to get her some donuts.

"With you, with you, with you," Asta started screaming as I inched toward the speaker," Oh! girl, I don't want nobody else."

It was so cute I couldn't tell her to quiet down, especially with how little her extrovert side showed. The Jellz staff was just gonna have to deal with the cute muffled singing from my daughter.

"Cause if I got you, I don't need money," she continued rocking back and forth.

She held her Barbie in the air, and was making the doll dance. Then finally I made it to the speaker.

"How can I help you," A deep voice began.

"A six-pack of Jellyz please," I replied.

"That'll be 2.07$, see you at the window," He mumbled back.

When I got to the window, Asta started screaming with excitement. She snatched the bag from my hands as soon as I got it, and started munching down. Little did she know she had a Barbie dream house to get back home to.

"Mommy, these taste weird," Asta coughed spitting the donut all over my back seat.

Then I grabbed one from the bag and took a bite," See. Good," I laughed.

After swallowing, my body felt tingly. My fingers couldn't move, and slowly my vision began to blur. The last thing I could see was a worker with dark hair coming towards me.

"Hey," His voice echoed," Are you okay?"

My face fell onto the horn, and he pushed it back up. I tried to feel around for my seatbelt, so I could unlock it...but I couldn't move a muscle. Asta started coughing and cars beeped behind me. Then my vision went dark, and I could feel the man ripping me out of the seat.