Chapter 05: Dorms

(Y/N)'s POV:

"Damn, what is it with this school? It's so freakishly huge!" said Soma while you put a hand over your yawning mouth. "Just how much further is it to this dormitory?"

"I think it's close now," you looked at the map labelled 'guide to the Polar Star Dormitory'. You both were walking down a quiet and desolated area, devoid of human presence, hustle and bustle. As the sun dipped below the horizon, the fleeting colours of dusk began to fade away leaving a vaguely dark shade of red that dusted the sky. A strong stroke of piercing, cold wind gushed towards the trees, taking along with it the wilted leaves that just barely attached. Flocking birds rattled away in synchrony with leaves and dust creating a scene of harmony that brought peace to your soul.

"I'm exhausted. And to top it all, it's freezing," Soma complained. "And I'm SO hungry."

You both were idly chatting your journey away when the path's end brought you to a dark and gloomy-looking mansion that could easily have been possessed but gladly wasn't.

"Seriously? We're going to stay here of all places?" you said, eyes still wide at the said building. "This place looks dirty," you stated opening the double doors.

"We don't get a choice, (Y/N)," he simply replied. "Hello? Is anyone here?" Soma spoke in a voice loud enough to echo.

You both just stood there in surprise and panic as smoke began to seam through from behind the stairs. "Smoke? Is there a fire?" Soma questioned.

Soon, you heard a 'bang' as the floor began to shake slightly. "Now, an Earthquake?" you inquired in annoyance and distress. You both were honestly tired after that one hour of reaching this place; you just wanted sleep. You couldn't even keep your eyes open at this point.

You openly cursed and moved to one side of the hall as a bunch of animals passed from right in front of you with a pink-haired girl chasing them screaming, "No! Don't leave me!" You'd have been crushed had you not moved at the time you did.

You were startled when one of the speakers on the wall featured the voice of an aged woman who announced, "Hey! Room 116! Don't you dare keep game animals in your room! If you do it again, I'll flay you alive!" "Sorry!" replied the girl.

"And Room 208! You turned your room into a smoker without my permission again, didn't you? Want me to string you over some wood chips!?" continued the elderly voice. "And Room 205! If your books collapse again, I'll collapse you with a punch to the gut!" "I'll try to be more careful!" replied some guy from his room.

"You must be Yukihira Soma, the transfer student who's come to stay at this dormitory," spoke a woman easily above her fifties and also the one to who the voice from the speaker belonged. You turned around to face her.

"And who might you be, young lady?" she questioned you, not knowing who you were.

"Oh, yes, I'm (Y/N) (L/N), also a transfer student and I wish to stay here," you answered.

"I see. Are you two related somehow?" she asked.

"Uhm, not blood related but she's been staying with me and my dad since childhood due to circumstances," Soma interrupted the conversation.

"I see. My name is Daimidou Fumio, the caretaker of this dormitory. I'm also known as Fumio-san or the Madonna of the Polar Star Dorm," she introduced and you could feel the flames of fury she was emitting for some unknown reason.

"So, what ingredients did you bring?" asked the Madonna, sorry, Fumio-san.

"What do you mean?" you and Soma both asked at the same time.

"What else could I mean? Anyone who wishes to live here must pass our famous challenge! First Rule: dorm applicants must make one meal. Only those whose cooking passes will be allowed to reside in the dorm. Second Rule: the caretaker will serve as the examiner. Third Rule: the applicant may bring any ingredients they wish to use."

"Well, this is news to us! We haven't got any ingredients on us right now!" Soma said in your stead too.

"Then, I guess, you fail by default. I won't let you pass the threshold without seeing what you're made of."

"Then, tonight we'll have to—"

"Camp outside, of course," Fumio-san completed his sentence.

"You can't be serious! Even in April, it's freezing outside! We're already half-dead from exhaustion and hunger!" you fanatically went on.

"The challenge is mandatory. Just forget about it. The only things left in the kitchen are scraps and leavings. Guess today is your unlucky day-"

"You mean we can use those leftovers?" Soma asked. "We'll take the challenge. I presume there's no problem with us both cooking together and not individually?"

"Yeah, so long as you serve a dish," she responded.

She led you both towards the kitchen. Considering what the outside looked like, that was a very nice kitchen.

"Listen up, don't expect to earn a passing grade on something you're going to slap together," she said.

You opened the fridge door and briefly took note of the ingredients.

Eggs. Panko Bread Crumbs. Wheat Flour. Spices and Seasonings.

You both started cooking.

Fumio-san's POV:

What on Earth are they going to prepare from those measly leftover items?

After just a few minutes, they both were done. With one look at the plate, it appeared as if magic itself was personified as the dish.

"Th-There was no speck of ground beef or pork left," I said, genuinely astonished, "What is this magic? How'd you make such a meaty looking steak?"

"We used canned mackerel," the Soma guy replied with a smile, "Once we prepped the eggs, onions and panko, we added them to the shredded mackerel and seasoned it with salt and pepper."

I gulped, amazed by the idea, and also at the mouth-watering steak waiting to be eaten. A bite and it's heaven. It was truly one of the most delicious dishes I'd ever eaten.

(Y/N)'s POV:

"Very well. I shall allow you both to live in this dormitory," stated Fumio-san. You were glad, you could finally attain some sleep, precious sleep.

"However," continued Fumio-san but you couldn't care less about what she'd say. "You both shall be sharing a room." And there. There, it went all down the drain, your sleepiness, that is.

"Excuse me, what?" you asked, calculating the possibilities of having heard a hallucination, which even if you were sleepy, were minimal to zero.

"As was observed before, I was not aware of your arrival, which is why I don't have a vacant and clean room at the moment for you to use. And since you both are related, you can share a room."

You couldn't believe your ears. You possibly couldn't. Your heart started beating quicker while a red tint dusted your face.

"I suspect you have any objections?" she asked.

"Ye—" you started.

"None," Soma smirked and looked at you, a blushing mess.

"Very well. Take Room 303," Fumio-san smiled and handed Soma the key. You both headed for the stairs.

"Why would you agree to that?" you practically shouted.

"What do you mean 'why'? I want to stay with you and don't have any objections. And I cleared my intentions. Nothing more, nothing less," he said, making you blush even harder.

A man and a woman staying in the same room. There's no way nothing would happen.

__________

(1273 Words)