Chapter 19: Talk

(Y/N)'s POV:

"(Y/N), your mother was my wife."

Well, that certainly was an abrupt claim that deserved a flabbergasted or dumbfounded expression in disbelief from you. It certainly did qualify in surprising you. But just a little. Maybe a little more. You snapped out of your daze soon enough for it to not be counted as awkward.

"Seriously?" you questioned for confirmation. Without stuttering.

"I have no reason to joke about this," Dojima-san replied subtly.

"What? Whose mother and whose wife?" Soma asked with a look of pure confusion while looking at you then Dojima-san in a continuous loop.

"I'm your father, (Y/N)," Dojima-san specified in a clearer attempt.

Now that he said it like that, it felt even weirder.

"Eh?!" Soma was more astonished than you when he finally got the meaning.

"Oh, hi, father," you smiled at him, collecting your fragmented thoughts. That certainly wasn't the response he was expecting, even you could tell that; he sighed in relief to see things go smoother than he thought they would.

It was extremely difficult to surprise you. You practically expected the unexpected, but not to this point. And even if something managed to surprise you, you quickly accepted it and regained your usual composure. Since you did hold some curiosity about your true origins, you wanted an explanation.

"Weren't you an immigrant?" Soma questioned.

"Well, I was supposed to be one till today," you answered, not believing it yourself.

"Damn, we'll have to correct the description," Soma sighed.

"Stop—" you hit his back. "—breaking the fourth wall."

"Ouch, and isn't your last name (L/N)?" Soma asked sceptically. Dojima-san raised an eyebrow in question with a look that hinted at his unawareness of the topic.

"Well, I was found without a surname, nor did I remember it for I don't know what reasons. So, at school, it was weird not having one and believe it or not, I was bullied for it—bruh. Anyway, (L/N) was the last name I presumed for ease of stuff," you explained.

Soma looked at you wide-eyed; he probably concluded that that expression was what one was supposed to wear at situations as such to cover up for the fact that he didn't understand shit. He closed his eyes, put an index finger to his chin, and thought over your sentences to grasp the unattainable meaning. After ten or so seconds, he seemed to have attained that unattainable meaning.

"Oh, se—" he exclaimed.

"Yes, seriously," you interrupted.

"(Y/N)," Dojima-san began, his voice laced with concern. "You were bullied?"

"I was but I beat the motherfuckers to pulp after that. So, it wasn't a problem, yeah," you smiled at the proud memory. He did look surprised at that but smiled at your level of casualty with him.

You instantly put your hands to your mouth once you realised, "Please excuse my profanity."

"No, it's no problem," he said. "They were motherfuckers indeed."

A chuckle quickly replaced the confounded expression on your face at that statement.

"So, how did I end up at Joichiro-jii-san's place?" you questioned.

"Well, your mom left me for someone else when you were six, as simple as that. And obviously, I was pretty shaken by the sudden betrayal followed by a divorce. I wasn't suitable for parenting a six-year-old at the time. Joichiro was a close friend of mine and understood my situation and proposed to take care of you along with his son," he stated almost emotionlessly. Almost.