chapter 5

Lauren's POV

"That pretty much covers the syllabus. Any questions?" Professor Baro with eyes panning the the class. "Well, that's all for today. If you have any questions send me an email. Have a great rest of your day!" she finished as everyone started packing their bags to leave. I put my bag on and walked up to professor Baro.

"Hi, Professor Baro! I'm so glad I was able to fit your class into my schedule this semester," she was one of my favorite professors from freshman year. Since then I've always kept in contact with her, and she's helped me with everything. 

"I'm looking forward to having you as my student again. How are things?" she asked putting some papers away.

"Really good, I actually got the sixers social media internship!" 

"My letter of recommendation must've been perfect," she grinned at me. "No," she laughed. "You are very deserving and that's wonderful news! Congratulations, Lauren"

"I couldn't have done it without you. Thank you for helping me with the application,"

"Of course, that's what I'm here for," she said grabbing her coffee.

"Well, I just wanted to give you an update. I'll see you on Thursday," 

"See you then," she said with a wave. I said goodbye and exited the classroom. 

I grabbed my keys and phone from my bag and made my way to the parking lot. I couldn't help but smile as I went through my notifications and saw an email from Rebecca about the internship. There was also a text from Caleb but I didn't even care to respond.

Maybe: Caleb

2:51 pm

Thanks you too. I'm hoping I'll
see you around soon

And I'm hoping I won't see you around soon.

I rolled my eyes and deleted the conversation. I was so over the whole situation I didn't need a reminder of him every time I opened my messages. Part of me felt bad that I didn't respond because I would usually heart a message like that, but Caleb didn't deserve it. I opened up my inbox, eager to read that email from Rebecca. I unlocked my black Mazda CX-30, got in the driver's seat, and tossed my bag onto the passenger side. After putting on my seatbelt, I grabbed my phone and started reading the email.

 I didn't officially start until Monday, but Rebecca invited me to come in on Friday to meet everyone that I'll be working with. Media day is just around the corner and she wants to make sure that I'm aware of the scheduling of everything. I quickly replied and told her how excited I was to get started and that I would definitely be there on Friday since I didn't have class.

I turned on my engine and backed out of the parking spot. I put on my music and cracked open the windows a bit. I stepped on the gas and began to make my way back home. 

* * * * *

"What else should I put on the list?" I asked looking up from my phone at the girls. 

"Ginger beer so I can make us some mules," Alyssa said. She made a damn good Moscow mule. It has slowly become my favorite drink. But so is anything with tequila in it these days. 

"Wonderful," I said adding it to the list in my notes. "Anything else?"

"I'm sure there's more Laur, but I'll know it when I see it in the store. Let's go" Jordan said in an attempt to get us to leave. 

"Alright, but when we get back and you realize you forgot something...." I teased grabbing my bag from beside me. "You're gonna wish you used my damn list," I whispered in a joking tone.

"C'mon," Jordan laughed as we left the apartment for Target. 

* * * * *

"So, what are you gonna wear on Friday?" Alyssa asked.

"Not sure honestly. The dress code is casual but I'll figure it out the night before," I said pushing the cart down the aisle.

"You're gonna look so good, I'll help you with the fit of course" Jordan suggested with excitement. 

"Still gotta get through the rest of the week," I sighed.

"Cry me a river it's syllabus week and you're only taking four classes, Laur,"  Jordan said grabbing some hint of lime Tostitos off the shelf and placing them in the cart. 

"Hey, I worked hard to take these four classes!" I laughed. "Let's not forget when I was dying with seven classes freshmen year. Anyways," I said turning the cart into the candy aisle.

"So you and Demetri," Jordan said changing the subject dramatically. What is she talking about?

"Huh?" I scrunch my face in confusion.

"What happened last night?"

"Oh, I was just down about the internship" my eyes wandering through the candy selections. I had a really good day today and I just want to put this Caleb stuff to rest. Sure I'm still a little down about us but I have this internship now to refocus my thoughts.

"Laur, he cares about you and wouldn't do anything to hurt you" Alyssa urged.

"Sure, but we don't even know if he likes me like that," I replied. I don't even know if I see him that way. We're so young and nothing is permanent, I wouldn't want to ruin a perfectly good friendship. 

"Oh yes he does, have you seen the way he looks at you?" Alyssa said as if it were obvious.

"And even if he did," I paused, grabbing a bag of sour patch kids and putting it in the cart. "I just don't see that happening for me. Nothing against him, I just don't want anything serious for a while." 

He is attractive though.