34) I Have A Sirius Talk With Harry (But It Has Nothing To Do With Sirius)

Mrs. Weasley backed into the room carrying a pile of freshly laundered clothes, "Ginny said the book lists had come at last." She glanced around at our letters, then started sorting the clothes into three piles. "If you give them to me I'll take them over to Diagon Alley this afternoon and get your books while you're packing. Ron, I'll have to get you more pajamas, these are at least six inches too short, I can't believe how fast you're growing... what color would you like?"

"Get him red and gold to match his badge," George grinned.

"Match his what?" Mrs. Weasley absently said, rolling up a pair of socks and sitting them on Ron's pile of clothes.

"His badge," Fred said, sounding as if he were just getting the worst over with quickly. "His lovely shiny new prefect's badge."

It took a moment for the words to stick in Mrs. Weasley's head, "His... but... Ron, you're not...?" Ron held up his badge. Mrs. Weasley stared for a moment, then let out a happy shriek. "I don't believe it! I don't believe it! Oh, Ron, how wonderful! A prefect! That's everyone in the family!"

"What are Fred and I, next door neighbors?" George said indignantly.

Mrs. Weasley flung her arms around Ron, "Wait until your father hears! Ron, I'm so proud of you, what wonderful news, you could end up Head Boy just like Bill and Perry, it's the first step! Oh, what a thing to happen in the middle of all this worry, I'm just thrilled, oh Ronnie —"

Fred and George made retching noises behind her back, but she didn't seem to notice. She just continued to kiss him all over his face, which was as red as his badge, "Mum... don't... Mum, get a grip..."

She let go of him and smiled, "Well, what will it be? We have Perry an owl, but you've already got one, of course."

"W-what do you mean?" Ron looked as if he didn't believe what he was hearing.

"You've got to have a reward for this!" Mrs. Weasley said breathlessly. "How about a nice new set of dress robes?"

"We've already bought him some," Fred said bitterly, probably regretting that decision.

"Or a new cauldron, Charlie's old one's rusting through, or a new rat, you always liked Scabbers —"

"Mum," Ron said hopefully, "can I have a new broom?"

Mrs. Weasley's face fell slightly. Brooms were expensive.

"Not a really good one," Ron said quickly. "Just — just a new one for a change..."

Mrs. Weasley hesitated, then smiled, "Of course you can.... Well, I'd better get going if I've got a broom to buy too. I'll see you all later.... Little Ronnie, a prefect! And don't forget to pack your trunks.... A prefect.... Oh, I'm all of a dither!" She gave him one last kiss on the cheek, sniffled loudly, then bustled out of the room.

Fred and George shared a look.

"You don't mind if we don't kiss you, do you, Ron?" Fred said, fake worried.

"We could curtsy, if you like," George said.

"Oh, shut up," Ron scowled.

"Or what?" A grin spread across Fred's face. "Going to put us in detention?"

"I'd love to see him try," George snorted.

"He could if you don't watch out!" Hermione said angrily, and Fred and George burst out laughing.

"We're going to have to watch our step, George," Fred pretended to tremble, "with these two — three! — on our case..."

"Yeah, it looks like our law-breaking days are finally over," George shook his head, and with a loud crack, the twins Disapparated.