107) Umbridge Plays Good Cop, Bad Cop, But Forgets About Good Cop

"Dolores Umbridge?" Hagrid was clearly confused. "I thought you were one o' them Ministry — don' you work with Fudge?"

"I was Senior Undersecretary to the Minister, yes," Umbridge started pacing around the cabin, taking in every detail she could. "I am now the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher —"

"Tha's brave of yeh," Hagrid said, "there's not many'd take tha job anymore —"

"— and Hogwarts High Inquisitor," Umbridge continued, as if she hasn't heard him.

"Wha's that?" Hagrid asked.

"Precisely what I was going to ask," Umbridge motioned to Hermione's broken mug.

"Oh," Hagrid glanced back at where we were hiding, "oh, tha' was... was Fang. He broke a mug. So I had ter use this one instead." He pointed at the mug he left on the table, the other hand still pressing the steak against his eye.

Umbridge stood to face him, finally taking in Hagrid's appearance. She spoke softly, "I heard voices."

"I was talkin' ter Fang," Hagrid said.

"And was he talking back to you?"

"Well... in a manner o' speakin," Hagrid shifted uncomfortably. "I sometimes say Fang's near enough human —"

"There are four sets of footprints in the snow leading from the castle doors to your cabin," Umbridge's eyes narrowed.

Hermione gasped at that, and Harry clamped a hand over her mouth. Thankfully, Fang had started sniffing the air very loudly, and she didn't hear her. She also thankfully didn't hear my curse, which also had Harry clapping his hand over my mouth.

"Well, I on'y jus' got back," Hagrid motioned to his still unpacked bag. "Maybe someone came ter call earlier an' I missed 'em."

"There are no footsteps leading away from your cabin door."

Harry's hand muffled my second curse.

"Well I... I don' know why that'd be..." Hagrid glanced back at our corner, as if seeking help. "Erm..."

Umbridge wheeled around and made her way around the cabin, examining everything carefully. She must have been not two inches away from our hiding spot, but she didn't pay us any mind. Probably because we were invisible.

After peering into the cauldron hanging over Hagrid's fire, Umbridge asked, "What has happened to you? How did you sustain those injuries?"

Hagrid pulled the steak away from his face, revealing the mass of purple black bruises on his face, "Oh, I... had a bit of an accident."

"What sort of accident?"

"I-I tripped?"

"You tripped," Umbridge looked disbelieving. That's about when I cursed for a third time.

"Yeah, tha's right. Over... over a friend's broomstick. I don' fly, meself. Well, look at the size o' me, I don' reckon there's a broomstick that'd hold me. Friend o' mine breeds Abraxan horses, I dunno if you've ever seen 'em, big beasts, winged, yeh know, I've had a bit of a ride on one o' them an' it was —"

"Where have you been?" Umbridge didn't care for the horses. I found that terribly offensive. I love horses.

"Where've I...?"

"Been, yes," Umbridge prompted. "Term started more than two months ago. Another teacher has had to cover your classes. None of your colleagues has been able to give me any information as to your whereabouts. You left no address. Where have you been?"