Chapter 4: Training and then some

Great, another day of training. I wake up with a groan, wanting to sleep in instead of beating all of my friends. Except for Cal, I haven't fought with him in a while. The last time I did, he beat me, and it wasn't even close. So much for the "unbeatable" Mareena. But today, I would beat him.

I stood up with renewed energy. I had to beat Cal! 

I enter the training room, determined. "Why are you so energized Mareena? Aren't you normally half asleep?" asks MAven. "I'm going to beat Cal today!" I say, my eyes glittering. Maven's face goes blank as he stares at me. Then, he bursts out laughing. "I-I'm sorry *laugh* but *laugh* you have no chance! *Pauses to catch his breath and resumes laughing*" I blush and slap him in the back of the head. "You jerk! I can zap you anytime, don't forget" He stops laughing and holds it in, making him look like a chipmunk with fat cheeks. I laugh, and now he blushes. 

Then, Cal walks in. Maven tells him my plan and he shrugs, welcoming the challenge. 

Then, Evangeline, followed by her minions.

And then... Mare? Wait- what?

"Graduated from Protocol already? Did you finally master the art of sitting with your legs crossed?" Evangeline sneers, and Mare ignores her. 

Mare talks with Maven, and he comforts her, according to what I overheard, about her terrible dancing skills.

"Lines" whispers Arven. "Laps" he whispers.

We begin running like we normally do. Then, the obstacles start. Cal, Evangeline, and I dodge easily. Mare is not so lucky, getting knocked onto the ground since she didn't know. Maven stays behind to help her as we keep running. 

***

The next day, the fighting begins. First up, Cal and I. We circle each other, lightning and fire. I pretend to move to the right, then to the left, but end up launching myself at Cal, lightning ready. I electrocute him, but he burns me. Karma. I back away, looking for an opening. This continues, back and forth. Silvers watch us, enjoying the fight. Finally, Cal throws himself at me, and both of us struggle on the ground. It takes me a moment to realize he is kissing me. He's on top of me, and that boy is as heavy as an ox. This leaves me in a... rather uncomfortable position. 

"Cal, stop, you won," I say, blushing madly. He realizes how this looks and gets up holding out his hand for me to take it. I take it, brush myself off, admit defeat and walk off the arena and go to the healers. Evangeline snickers and says to Cal: "Well played"

Heck no, I am not coming out of the healing room. The shame and the embarrassment. Once I do come out, everyone has left. Maven fills me in on what happened, his face stoic and unfeeling. Evangeline made Mare bleed in their fight, exposing her blood for all to see. 

Maven avoids me for the rest of the day, which hurts, but he'll get over whatever he's mad at me about. At least I think?

I go to Julian's room for some peace and quiet, only to hear that Julian had already heard what happened and now he was smirking and teasing me too. Will I ever outlive this? I hide my face and decide that I will never face Cal again. Come on Mareena, be strong. Eventually, you will have to face him again. 

Mare then enters the room, distracting me from my thoughts. "Mare, hi," I say, waving awkwardly. She stops, her face turning whiter even with all that makeup. Suddenly I pity her. Her life could have ended today if it weren't for Cal and Maven. She has so much to lose and still has much to live. "I should go," she says. "Mare... let's talk" She nods, silent.

"I know life hasn't been easy for you. And I'm... sorry for acting so rudely towards you. If you need any help, just let me know, ok?" Mare looks at me, surprised and tired. "Ok... thanks," she says, and she turns away, seeming slightly more relaxed. 

***

I have continued to successfully avoid Cal. Then, Evangeline tells me the news. "Didn't you hear? Cal is now the commander of his new Legion. He'll be fighting alongside them. He's leaving for war!" exclaims Evangeline. "What?" I say, dumbfounded. That is so Cal, risking his life for others. But it's also so so stupid, he is the heir and he could die. I need to speak to him later on.

*At night*

I look for Cal since I didn't find him in his room. Then, I hear music and laughter. I find myself walking toward it, and I see... Cal and Mare, dancing and enjoying themselves. "I'm doing my brother a favor, do you want to step on his feet all night?"

I recoil, and close my eyes, jealously bubbling up. I'm okay, I'm fine. It's just a harmless dance. But still, tears threaten to spill over. That should be me... No, no, it's ok, I should stop being so emotional. I walk away from the scene, I'll talk to Cal tomorrow, before the ball. 

Mareena walks away, oblivious to the cameras trailing after her

*Security room*

"See Maven? Mareena is doubting her relationship with Cal. Now you step in, make her feel better, make her see you are more compassionate and that you are better" says Elara. Maven walks out of the room to catch up with Mareena. 

*Third person*

Mareena stares up at the night sky from the balcony, trying to calm down, to not be sad. Suddenly, Maven joins her. "Is something wrong Mareena?" he asks, concerned. She turns her tear-stained face to him and smiles. "No, I'm okay," she says, forcing another smile. "It's okay you know, you need to let things out," he says softly, and he gets closer. Suddenly, she breaks. Sobbing on Mavens's shoulders, she feels... better. "I-it's just that... Cal is leaving, but he's spending more time with Mare than with me. I thought he loved me!" she says, in between sobs. Finally, she stops, takes a deep breath, and calms down. After a second of thinking, Maven makes his move.

"Well, let me take your mind off him," says Maven. Mareena barely processes his words when he kisses her. Surprised, tired, and hurt, Mareena doesn't resist. It's not even that bad... she kind of enjoyed it. Finally, she breaks it. "That wasn't supposed to happen" she whispers, flushing silver, tears glittering on her face in the light of the moon. 

"Good night Maven," she says, walking away quickly. She needed to spend some time without any boys.

"Good night Mareena," says Maven softly, and he walks away too. 

As for Mare and Cal? The friends continued dancing, relaxed and happy.