Chapter 9

Samuel arrived home with a heavy heart. He entered the sitting room where he found his sister, sitting and reading.

"You look upset. What's the matter?" She asked, looking concerned.

"Robert South," he replied.

"What happened?" He told her briefly. "So Lady Newton doesn't want you marrying Phoebe?" She asked when he was done.

"Well she never did but now she has expressly forbidden it."

"Lord Newton won't believe it."

"If he is blind, deaf and stupid than no, he will not. It will be in the Daily Telegraph tomorrow."

"Tell him what really happened, he likes you. I'm sure if you told him first he would believe you."

"I will if I am let into the house,"

"Lady Newton was just shocked. She'll calm down."

"I'm not sure."

"What does Phoebe think about all this?"

"She knows what really happened, I told her earlier."

"Does she want to marry you?"

"I believe she is still upset at me but not for this."

"I should hope so. In the meantime, what will we do about Robert?"

"What do you mean?"

"Don't you want to seek revenge?"

"Of course. But it will be a more subtle revenge than just clouting him senseless, as much as I wish to do that."

"Will I be privy to this plan?"

"Not yet, I'd rather not tell anyone. You'll know if it works."

"Very well." She replied resignedly and that was the end of the matter.

    Phoebe sat down on her bed and angrily ripped the pins out of her hair, flinging them onto the blanket next to her.

It was all so unfair; she wanted to marry, to bear children, to live in a house with an extensive library and lovely little teacups. She wanted what happened in the stories she read when she was a little girl. She wanted a happy ending.

Another part of her wanted adventure. She wanted to experience life, not just have it pass her by.

Perhaps however, she could not have both and if she were to marry Samuel, which she did want to do. She would have to give up her dreams of adventure.

Phoebe was not one to sulk for long and she soon composed herself, pushing thoughts of lost dreams to the back of her mind. There was no use lamenting about what she couldn't change. She was too old for that now, crying was for silly children. There was a soft knock on the door and Grace entered the room, uninvited.

"Phoebe?"

"Yes?" Phoebe wiped her eyes.

"I am sorry about what happened, I tried to reason with mother but she is furious." Grace said.

"What does George say?"

"Not much, but you know he'll go along with anything mother says."

"What will father say?"

"That's what I came to speak with you about. I will tell father. I will defend Samuel and tell him what happened."
"Why shouldn't I?" Phoebe asked.