11

They were on Anton's lawn. The five of them were cooped together, eyes on the leaflet on the grass. Eight booklets, eight schools. In three weeks, their classes were over. In just two months, they would be seniors. Many schools were already showing interest after their recent tournaments. Thirdy, Anton and Isaac were gone for a week the last time, competing for the country. They won 4 out of ten matches. They nabbed third place in the competition.

Maddie and Bea won the last tournament despite the accident that happened to them. Many school teams were trying to recruit them, which resulted in them meeting in Anton's place, laying all the informational leaflets of the schools that had been talking to them.

"Hindi ako pwede sa UP." Anton stated.

"Bakit naman?" Bea tilted her head.

"Bobo ako, beh."

"At least alam mo," Isaac retorted, which earned him a kick on his thigh.

Bea and Maddie were staring intently at the blue and white leaflet. It was the same university where the three boys were studying. They have been considering that school as well. Seeing how well-treated their friends were, choosing it must not be bad. They also considered the volleyball team. They were pretty strong, too. They haven't won a championship yet but were always part of the final four.

Anton and Isaac wanted to stay in Ateneo. However, they were still weighing their choices as they knew that the Ateneo Blue Eagles were a powerful team with a champion title on their back. They attended the college team's training; they were invited to try out and were overwhelmed with many aspiring players wanting to represent the blue and white. They wanted to have one backup plan if things went the other way.

But they noticed that Thirdy was eyeing a different one. His hands picked three leaflets, and it wasn't even the same leaflet they were holding. It seems like Thirdy was interested more in the program than in the school.

"Thirdy?" Isaac asked, "Anong course gusto mo?"

("What do you want to be when you grow up?"

"I want to be like you!"

"You want to be gwapo like me!"

"But you are not gwapo."

"That is so mean. So, ano nga?"

"Hm, I want to be a doctor!"

"Really? Why?"

"Because Daddy is often injured. I wanna help daddy to become better."

"Is that so? So, you will help me din if I become injured?"

"Of course!"

"That is so nice of you!"

...

"I will become a doctor! I will help you to get better!"

"Bait naman!"

"I saw the doctor kanina. He helped you daw! Did you feel better?"

"Yeah, hindi na masakit."

"Doctor has magic hands!"

"Yes, they do. If you become a doctor, you will have magic hands, too. You can heal all the sick."

"Are they healing you?"

"They are."

...

"I thought doctors can heal? Why is he not home yet?"

"He'll be home soon."

"And we can play basketball?"

"Yes, baby."

...

"Looks like daddy and you are the only ones that can play basketball now."

...

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"

"I want to be like him."

"You want to be what?"

"I want to play basketball.")

"I don't know." Thirdy tried to sound uninterested, "I am not sure, actually."

They looked at Bea when she stood up from the grass, shoving the Ateneo leaflet into their hands. "Let's go with this!"

"Ateneo?" Thirdy asked. "Pero dito na kami."

"Eh di lilipat kami ni Maddie." She exclaimed. "Para hindi na tayo maghiwa-hiwalay. Lahat tayo sa Ateneo!"

Seeing the excitement in Bea's eyes, Thirdy read the leaflet he had in his hand. It's not that bad to stay there if he was being honest. And he was sure his dad would be happy if he chose to remain with Ateneo and play for that school. His dad has only given him two choices. It's either Ateneo or La Salle. And, of course, he would choose where his friends were.

He turned to the last page. "When ba ang start ng application ng colleges?"

"Around August," Maddie informed. "So, ano Ateneo nga tayo?"

"Hindi ba tayo nagsasawa sa mukha ng isa't-isa?" Isaac raised an eyebrow. "Umay na ko sa mukha nila Thirdy."

"Hala," Thirdy frowned but followed with a chuckle. "Sa gwapo kong to, nagsasawa ka?"

"Promise yan ha!" Bea held out her hand, raising her pink finger. "Let's all swear on it!"

"We're turning 16 na. Pinky promise pa din, Bea?" Maddie snorted.

"Of course, best friends forever tayo! So, dali! Let's all promise that we will be together forever!"

Anton nodded, stood from the ground, held out his hand, and wrapped his pinky finger on Bea's pinky. Isaac and Maddie followed. Thirdy didn't have to think. He stood up, wrapped his pinkies with Maddie's and Bea's, and smiled. They will be together forever.

Or so he thought.