It's really happening

Casey's POV

After going to millions of support group meeting, having home studies, talking to agents, Izzie and I were able to meet some kids that were in the system. The agent wanted to see how we were with the kids and if we can handle it.

If I'm being honest, I was a lot more terrified than Izzie. Or at least, I thought so. Izzie seemed like she was so ready, and while I was too, I couldn't get rid of this feeling that it's not gonna work out.

We met about 20 kids that day, and they all had similar stories. Their parents were drug addicts, kicked them out of the house, abusive, etc. I knew Izzie could relate to some of them, so I knew she must be getting that heartbroken feeling again. We met this one girl, she was about 5 years old. Her name is Addison. Her parents kicked her out about a year ago, and she's been in the system ever since. She had hair that went down to just about the middle of her back, and a bunch of rubber band bracelets on. We also met a lot of teenagers, which for some reason hurt me a little more.

After we met some kids, Izzie looked at me. "...so?" She asked me, concerned in a genuine way.

"That was the most saddest thing I've ever seen." I told her truthfully. Izzie nodded in agreement with me.

"I know. And, can you believe how many teenagers we saw?" Izzie asked me in a sad tone.

"I know, it's horrible. The agent said that teenagers are very less likely to get chosen, because no one wants a teenager." I told her.

Izzie didn't say anything. I could tell she was thinking of something, but I didn't push her to say it.

"Why don't we adopt a teenager?" Izzie asked, the question I've been avoiding.

"Us? Me and you?" I said, and sounded kind of sarcastic.

"Yes. You're right, there's a lot of couples out there looking to adopt, and they don't think about the teenagers." She said, getting a little more excited.

"Yeah- I meant couples other than me and you." I told her truthfully, realizing I sounded like an asshole.

"Soooo, what do you guys think?" She asked us with an assuring smile.

"Well, the teenagers are great, but-" I said, but she cut me off.

"Yeah- there's a lot of teenagers in the system. Poor kids." She said, keep looking from me to Izzie. "Well, whichever kids you think would do best in your family, just tell my their names and we can try to set up more meeting with them." She said, looking at Izzie now. "But, just to let you guys know, a lot of these teenagers come with siblings that haven't been separated from them."

"Oh." Was all I could manage to get out. What was I supposed to say?

"Well, there's nothing wrong with the teenagers, but... Izzie and I feel that we're a little too young to be adopting teenagers." I told the woman, feeling guilty.

"Oh, okay. Well, that's your guys' decision." She told us, and I felt a little relieved that she was understanding.

"So, did you guys meet any kids that you want to see again?" She asked us and we immediately knew who we wanted to see

"Yeah- we really liked Addison." Izzie told her.

"Ahh yes- Addison is such a sweet girl, and the world hasn't been so good to her." She told us, and I felt Izzie squeeze my hand. I squeezed back.

"But just to let you guys know, Addison has two other siblings."

"Oh-" Izzie and I said at the same time.

"How old are they?" Izzie asked.

"Her brother, Max, is 3. She also has a sister, Amber, whose 14." She told us in a skeptical way.

We didn't say anything. A teenager? Are Izzie and I ready for that? When we said we'd adopt kids, I was expecting little babies that we'd watch grow up.

"But- if you guys are positive you don't want teenagers, we can find you some one else." She told us.

"I'll give you two some time to think and talk about it." She told us, and left the room.

Car ride home

As soon as we got into the car, Izzie was a little quiet. I wanted to see what she thought of all this, so I tried to start the conversation.

"What should we do?" I asked her.

"You know- I was thinking about it, and I think we should just do it." She said, surprising me.

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"Izzie, I know the younger kids aren't gonna be a bug deal, but a teenager? A 14 year old. We're 26." I told her, but she still didn't seem to care.

"Isn't it gonna be weird being the parent to a child that's only like- ten years younger than you?" I asked her, hoping she'd understand.

"Twelve." She told me in a joking yet, serious way.

"And I know it's gonna be a little weird to some people, Casey. But when I looked at those teenagers, I saw me as a kid. All I wanted when I was their age was to just be in a family that actually cared about me. It's not fair that they're just expected to do this on their own, they're still kids- and they still deserve a family too." She told, raising her voice a little.

I didn't know what to say. "Okay, okay." I said softly, grabbing her hand. "If adopting a teenager is something you're comfortable with, we can look more into it." I assured her. Izzie gave me a soft smile, and turned her head back at the road.

Maybe I'm overreacting. Maybe adopting a teenager won't be so bad after all. Plus, maybe she can help us with the younger once since she knows them better. Ugh, I dread telling Doug and Elsa about this...