Party Girl // kkv

When the sun comes up, and shines through unclosed curtains onto sharp slivers of beer bottles and creates a pretty mosaic of broken glass and dreams, she's the one who watches it.

When the drunk teenagers start to stir on their couches or patches of carpet, wondering where they are, which hopes they destroyed, she's the one who hears them.

When he hears the front door of the host's house creak open, it's her, creeping away into the early morning mist.

He tries to recall her face, her blue eyes, her smile - but he can never quite see it.

He tries to hear her voice, sweet, smooth and haunting - but it never rings clear.

He tries to say her name - but it's gone.

And when he tries to find her, it's like she never existed, disappeared in a cloud of white smoke, a simple stage magic trick.

Then, at school, he sees a face. A face that appears to be what he's been looking, searching for.

But when she turns, he knows it's not. The girl who faces him now is dull and lifeless, a whole world different from the dazzling girl he danced with late into the velvet night.

She gives him a small smile, a pitying one, speaking words he cannot place.

And then that night, when the sun's gone to bed and the bottles are out, she's back, all dazzles and sparkles and life.

Though the next morning, she's gone, taking his hopeful heart with her.