18: scars

(A FEW DAYS LATER, MAKALAH'S POV)

It's Saturday, so we're at Dad's apartment. My siblings and I were just standing there. He was sitting on the couch with August. "What? Come sit. You guys are acting like you don't know me or something." He says.

Avery sat on the couch, and Ava looked at me. I sat down so she would follow me. Alex sat down, too. There was a knock on the door, so Dad got up and answered it. "Hey.." He said. "Is this a bad time? What's wrong?" It was a woman's voice.

"Nothing, my kids are here."

"All of them?"

"Yea.. Do you want to meet them?"

"Yea!"

I turned around and looked at the woman coming in. She had long, thick black hair and brown eyes, and she was brown-skinned, and a pretty smile. "Awe! What's your name?" She smiled at me. "Makalah." I had no expression on my face. "That's so pretty! I love your hair!" She patted my hair and I moved away. "How old are you?" She asks. "14. That's also how long my parents have been together." I looked at dad.

"Well then.. What's your name?" She looked at Avery. "Avery. That's Ava. Don't get it mixed up."

I bit my lip and smiled. I can't wait to run this lady away. After she met all of us, I asked her some questions. "So, what's your name?"

"Jennifer."

I closed my eyes at her name, it was so familiar. "Jennifer..."

"Mhhm. Jennifer Maddox."

"What happened to Victoria? You know, the lady you cheated on mom with?" I looked at Dad. "We broke up, Makalah." My dad answers quietly, through his teeth.

"Dad can I go home? I miss mom."

"Makalah." He said, sternly. "You know, if this isn't a good time..." Jennifer started.

"No. No one is leaving. Makalah, deal with it. This is my weekend with you."

"We wouldn't have this problem if you never cheated on mom." I say. He quickly pulled on my arm, dragging me into another room. He slapped me across the face and screamed at me. "Why didn't you just stay home if your were gonna be a brat!?" He yelled in my face. "I asked you of I could go home! I don't want to have anything to do with you, Safaree! I hate you!"

I was serious.

About an hour later, Mom picked me up. "He's dating Jennifer." I told her. "Jennifer.."

"That bitch from your high school."

"Language. Did she have brown hair?"

"Yep."

"Brown skin?"

"Mom, I know what she looks like. It was defiantly her."

"Is this some type of joke? Do you think he knows it's her?" She asks. "He knows."

She didn't say anything. I felt bad or bringing it up. When we got to the house, we walked inside and it was a mess. I hadn't really noticed it before; toys all over the place, shoes by the door, the sink in the kitchen was filled with plates and cups, all of that stuff.

I guess the lack of one person really makes a difference.

"Mom.." I looked at her. "Yea?" She breathed. She looked tired. "I'm so sorry." Tears formed in my eyes, and I hugged her. "Why?"

"Can we talk?" I ask. "Yea..of course."

So we lay on he bed and talked. About dad, Jennifer, and her.