25: fine

Dad got out of the hospital today. He's fine. Mom was having some breathing problems, but they said she's gonna be able to come home today. August has to have surgery on his lungs sometime this week. He's just a baby and he inhaled a lot of smoke.

I'm in a hotel room with dad. We're laying down, talking.

"Why do bad things always happen to us? Why is our family so broken?" I ask quietly. "I don't know. Things will get better."

"How are you sure?"

He shrugged. "I'm not."

"I'm gonna go get your mom." He got up. "Y-you're gonna leave me here with the kids?" I sat up.

"You'll be fine."

He left. Alex and the twins were asleep. I looked at the door, and back at them. I quietly snuck though the door.
I went outside where there was a garden.

I sat on the little bench and just thought about everything that's been happening.  I looked over to the parking lot.

Dads car pulled up. He got out, and went to he other side to let mom out. He hugged her tightly and she was crying.

They started walking over to the garden where I was.

I hid behind a bush. They sat down.
"Why are you crying?"

"Because, all the shit we've been through is just crazy. Since we were 16. It's just been crazy, and if I didn't have you, I wouldn't be here." She hugged him again.

He hugged back and they stood up. "Let's go upstairs, I left makalah with the kids."

Oh my god! The kids are alone in the room. It's probably a mess by now. I snuck past mom and dad and went into the main entrance.

"Come on... Come on.." I rapidly pressed the up button on the elevator, looking back at the door once and a while.

"Forget it." I dashed up the stairs. We're on the 9th level. That's not bad.

When I got up there, mom and dad were already there. "Hi Kalah."

"Are you okay?" We hugged tightly. "Yes. I'm fine."

She smiled and looked at Avery and Ava. Alex was watching TV, while the twins were sitting with dad.

"Everything is fine." She whispered. "Except August." I said. "He'll be fine soon."

(NEXT DAY)

We went to the hospital in the morning to go see August. He was getting his surgery today, on his lungs.

"Don't worry," the surgeon says, "I've done this hundreds of times."

Mom went into the room with him and the rest of us waited.

And waited...

                      And waited some more...

"I wonder what the Santa Claus is doing right now..." Alex says.

"Santa Claus isn't-"

I covered Ava's mouth, quickly.

"Let's play a game. First person who talks, loses."

They all shut up.

(3 HOURS LATER)

August was finally done, and he's in the recovery room.

"Are you okay, Auggie?" I ask, as he lie sleeping in the toddler-size hospital bed. He had a small burn on his right arm, that was wrapped up. He had stitches down the middle of his chest, all the way down to his belly button.

I looked at mom and dad. They were hugging, looking at him. They seemed happy that August was okay.

"Okay, the house is safe now so we're going to look at the damage and what we can find that's okay. Nicki you stay here with August."

"No. I have to come." She looked at dad. 

So, we told the nurse we were leaving and headed home.

Mom started crying when we were walking up to it. It was in shambles. The roof was gone.

"Momma..."

"Shh." I shushed Alex, taking his hand. We went inside, and the firefighter showed us around. Everything was black and covered in ashes.

Everyone split up, going to their rooms. Mine wasn't a room anymore. The wall in between my room and the twins' was gone. My bedspread had holes in it and and my dresser had collapsed. My baby pictures and family pictures were burnt up. Tears flowed down my cheeks and I cried for a while about those pictures.

Mom held me and kissed my cheek. "It's okay." She said.

I missed my room. It was gone. I opened my closet and my clothes were black and had holes in them. I started choking up again but I sucked it up.

I sighed, walking through everyone's room. They all looked the same. Everything ruined, gone.

"Nothing?" Dad asks. "No."
"Me neither."

"Okay, Safaree, you go back to the hotel with the kids and I'll go check on August." Mom says. Dad kissed her and she left.

"Come on y'all." Dad waved us over and we got in his car. We went back to the hotel and went down to the pool to get our mind off things. It was kind of busy, but not too bad.

"Hey!" Dad yelled over everyone, "I'm going to get food, get out or get left!"

He left the room and we all followed.

We changed, and headed to McDonalds. We were eating in the car on the way back and mom called. Dads phone is connected to the car, so we could hear.

"Hey baby you're on speaker." Dad says. "Okay are y'all on your way? August is awake." She says.

"Yea. We'll be there in a few."

"Okay."

They hung up. When we got there, August was still awake. "Hi." He waved at us. "Hey buddy, are you okay?" I asked. He nodded.

"He'll be in a little discomfort for a few days but he's fine." Mom says. "Let me hold him."

Dad held him carefully. "Guys, everything's okay. Everything will be back to normal soon..." Mom went on.

"You brought me food!" She smiled and noticed the McDonald's bag we had snuck in.

______________________________________________

Obviously I've taken a break from wattpad. But I'm back!!!! COMMENT AND VOTE!!!!!!!