8: Hiding

(JANUARY 25TH, MAKALAH'S POV)

"What!?" I yelled. "Kalah..." My mom grabbed my arm. "Why didn't you tell me?" I ask.

"I was scared..I still am."

"Don't be. Does dad know?"

She looked down. "No..You're the first person I told."

I smiled when she said that. "You've been pregnant for 3 months and didn't tell anybody?"

"Yes. I-I don't know what to do.."

"Tell dad."

"No...I don't know what he'll say. What of he gets mad?"

"Why would he be mad? I ask. "He doesn't want anymore kids."

"I thought he did."

"So did I, Kalah."

"Did he tell you that?" I ask. "Yea, he told me he did and then changed his mind. But it was too late..."

"So why are you telling me?" I ask, not meaning to sound rude. She looked up at me. "Because I tell you everything."

"What are we gonna do, mom?"

"Don't tell anybody, Makalah. Promise me."

I pinky promised her I wouldn't tell anybody. I didn't like it, but I promised.

"When will you tell everybody? You can't wait too long."

"I don't know. I'll tell them..when it's born I guess."

"What? Mom that's crazy."

She didn't say anything. "Mom...you're not serious, right?"

She shrugged and looked forward.

(NEXT DAY)

I woke up, laying in the backseat on the van. "Mom?" I say. "Where are we going?" I ask. "New York."

"What's going on?" Ava woke up next to me. I didn't even know she was there. "NEW YORK?" I say, surprised.

"Where is everybody?" Ava asks. Alex, Avery and August aren't here.. or Dad.

"Hush." Mom looked back. She had on a black sweatshirt with the hood up. She had pretty makeup on her face. I wanted to ask questions but I didn't want to get in trouble.

Her phone rang. It said "Safaree" on the screen. I grabbed her phone and answered it. "Hello?!" I answer. Mom snatched her phone from me and hung up. "Makalah stop! Everything is fine."

"No it's not! I wanna go home!" I yell. "We're not going back there!"

"Mom you're going crazy."

She stopped the car really fast and my head jerked forward. "Mom stop!" Ava yelled. She put her head down and kept her hands on the steering wheel.

(NICKI'S POV)

I wiped my tears and looked up to the rear-veiw mirror. Makalah looked so confused.

I don't want to do this...but I have to. If Safaree finds out, then I'm dead. I took Makalah because she promised not to tell, and Ava because she knows how to shut her mouth. Alex has a big mouth and so does Avery. August repeats everything.

I took a deep breath and turned around to face the backseat. "We're going to live somewhere new for a while. Just a couple months, okay?"

"What about Dad and Alex and August and Avery? I miss them!" Ava said.

"When we get there, you can call daddy and tell him goodbye, okay? I promise, but right now i need you to trust me. I'm trying to protect you."

"From what?" Makalah asks. "Shut up Makalah. Just shut up!" I yelled.