Chapter 2: Unexpected Reunion with the Past (Part 1)

We people live in the present. We do the things we want in the moment to leave the past and go into the future. We all think about tomorrow. But many times, we feel that the past comes into our lives. Those feelings and memories come back to us at any moment. I guess that's where the famous "You can't run from your past" idea comes from. Unfortunately, one of our protagonists will suffer this in a more personal way.

It is no secret that our engines have suffered at some point in their life. After all, suffering is an inevitable part of life. We have clear examples in this saga. However, sometimes that pain from the past returns to the present to haunt us. Or at least we feel that way. Well, this is how this story begins.

It was a quiet morning on Sodor. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, and many people were enjoying the last few days of summer. As in the case of the smartest engine in the group, Edward. He was on his was to the Sodor Search and Rescue Center to drop of some medical supplies. While he was waiting, his driver read a book to him. Edward enjoyed literary works for entertainment. You can imagine how many books his driver reads, although his mind was very busy with something else.

"(The truth is that I do not feel that we are living a good time for us. First, the Henry thing. Then Alfred is free somewhere. Probably looking for revenge. And then there's "it." I don't want to tell them that thing while we're helping Henry. However, they have to realize "it" (sigh) Wow, this is more stressful than studies. Maybe some reading from my driver will help me clear my mind)" All of that came from the mind of the number 2 blue engine. 

"Hello, Edward! It's good to see you here again!" Came a voice.

Edward snapped out of his trance, and looked over. The voice belonged to his old friend, Rocky the red crane. 

"Oh, hi Rocky. Sorry, I've got a lot of things on my buffers." 

"Oh, it's alright, Edward. There are many things going on around Sodor." Admitted Rocky.

While his freight cars were being unloaded, Edward's driver began to read to Edward one of his favorite stories was, those of the great fictional detective: Sherlock Holmes. Edward really enjoyed those moments. Peace and quiet were the feelings of that Edward in that peaceful reading. Who would say that in that moment of calm the dilemma of history would begin.

"Oh, wow! That is Sherlock Holmes! I love those stories." Edward looked away from the book and saw something curious. An engine was on another siding with the breakdown train. He was a 4-4-0 like Edward, was painted orange with black stripes, had a bronze dome, and a number 50 on the sides on his tender. 

"Oh really?" Edward asked him.

"Uhuh...Which story is your reading?" The engine asked.

"He's reading "The Final Problem." Edward answered.

"It is the one in which Sherlock's greatest enemy, Moriarty, tries to kill him." The engine asked curiously.

"Huh? Y..Yeah....It's my favorite one." Edward was surprised. He was smart like him.

"Yeah...That's very cool. But my favorite story is The Red-Headed League." He commented.

"That is very good. I guess I know the reason." Edward referred to his orange hair. The engine chuckled.

"I see that you are very intelligent. Not many engines today enjoy a good book like that," The orange engine said. Edward didn't seem to mind. So he started talking to him about his favorite book. Edward wasn't very talkative, but for some reason, he didn't feel much of a problem with him.

"I can't believe we have things in common." Edward commented, a little surprised. But his presence made him feel good.

"I am also impressed. You really seem like a very nice engine to me." He said with a smile.