Where did he go wrong?

A young girl lays motionless in a white room.

A bed for comfort in which she laid on did nothing of the sort.

Who sits beside her is a man, in his early twenties, Legs sprawled and his hand gripping hers.

He's hasn't slept in days, maybe even a week. He's lost track of time to tell.

His head drops as he listens to the heart monitor beat occasionally. Indicating the girl's life is still in effect. 

She twitches and groans. She's awaking? His head raises a little, just a little. He didn't want his hopes to surge deeming this was natural.

Murmurs left her chapped lips as her eyes gradually flutter open like the wings of a colorful monarch. Her eyes shift to the side coming across the man who looks like his entire world shattered into little shards of glass.

No words were exchanged. Only the silent gazes of two people suffering through the tragedy of life. 

She licks her chapped lips and weakly squeezes his hand.

"Promise to stick with me through thick and thin?"

She helplessly asked her voice horse and contained with unimaginable anguish.

"I'll be there with you through every hardship and success little one."

Momentarily, her grip loosens. The color draining from her once glowing face and her eyelids flutter close.

Her breathing subsides before the heart-wrenching sound of the heart monitor flatlining.

He inhales sharply, trying to push back the tears of loss and anguish. Nothing was going through his mind except one thing.

Where did he go wrong?