5

I never thought this day will come. Never, not once, not in all the time I've known him. But right now, he looks just like a little boy. He's so fragile.

It doesn't take much to understand why.

I sat on his bed in front of him. I know he was waiting for my presence, but I don't know, I just don't know anymore.

I touch his arms, so gently, afraid to leave him a single scratch. I run my hand down his face, his shoulder, and then I dare to wrap myself around him until he slowly breaks apart.

His face shows so much pain. I almost can't breathe seeing him like that.

I try to hold him closer but he wraps his arms around my hips instead. I press my forehead to his forehead. I kiss the top of his nose gently as he closes his eyes.

"I'm so proud of you" I can't take the thought of being alone from this unfair world. I can't bear the prospect of becoming a quiet grave in this world, shut off from the light. I don't want to be a prologue on the first page of his book or the start of a trilogy. I want us to be the epilogue of our own story where we can feel the happy ending that we dreamed of.

"It hurts," Time may be harsh. I hope you can stay by my side 'till we get old. "I don't want our story to finish here," I said. Living and breathing in this flawed world. "Please tell me... tell me, Cain, tell me you will live!" I said crying out loud as I held his shoulder tightly.

"I don't deserve you, you don't have to force yourself to be with me" he admitted. He had an expression in his eyes I had never seen before. It took me a few seconds to realize what it was. It was regret.

"I'm not forcing myself!" I held his shoulder more tightly. "Just promised me" I can't look him in the eye. I'm not interested in seeing Cain's reaction. I didn't have to look him in the eyes and discover a secret in the deepest ocean of his gaze. I was terrified of anything that would cause me to give up. He was silent. The room was silent and the only thing you can hear is me, crying in pain.

"I'm afraid you'll leave me first..."

"I can't do that to you and will never be," I said in my weak voice.

"Look at me," he said. I can't see him cause of the tears. He lifts his right hand to move a strand of my hair that stuck to my cheeks and places it behind my ear. "Marry me," he said.

I stare at him. It was as if my soul had disappeared from my body when I heard that. I suddenly started crying again. I slap my face with my two hands to prove if it was a reality.

Gently, he took my hands away from my face.

"Love" his words hardly a whisper.

I'm still crying when I throw my arms around his neck.

"Love, I need to know if it's a yes or ---"

"Yes," I cry, slightly hysterical. "I love you"

I don't care anymore.

"I love you, Vee" he brings his hands up to my cheeks. He moves closer. Heat flashes across my skin. My heart is racing.

I cannot move.

"Breath, love" he chuckled.

I see him smile, the kind of smile that can drive a woman crazy, and I realize I've never seen him like this before.

"I want three kids" words that just came out of my mouth without thinking that leaving him speechless. He shakes his head while smiling. He can't believe what he heard.