Chapter 13 - The Sports Festival | Part 3: Flashbacks

The Battle Tournament.

Before Midnight was about to explain the rules, Tail requests to withdrawal from the event, saying that his participation in the Human Cavalry Battle was done by being manipulated and thinks that it was because of Indigo's Quirk. 

Tail goes on to say says that he understands that the tournament event is a rare opportunity and that walking away would be idiotic, blah blah blah, but he wasn't doing his best due to being manipulated, while the others were. Ghost and Alien try to persuade him to reconsider, but Tail makes a scene and declines.

Some other dude wanted to drop out too for the same reason. Midnight, liking their reasons, accepts the requests. Midnight then says that the open slots will be filled in by the team that placed fifth: A Team with a girl who had orange hair, but Team Orange decides to give the opportunity to a team with a Silver-haired guy. Midnight then announces that Silver and some Vine Girl will be replacing the other two. 

Come on, Monkey. Just let us start already.

After all that time-wasting, Midnight then shows the pairings for the tournament event. Broccoli is up against Indigo. This will be interesting. Indigo approaches Broccoli, but Tail warns Broccoli not to respond to him. Ooh. Secrets. Why is this? 

I glance at Blondie, who notices he is fighting someone named Ochaco and wonders who that is. Hm. Sounds familiar. The Sports Festival has recreational activities before the tournament event. I slouched back into my chair. Everybody else certainly didn't know it, but when I'm alone with Aizawa and Present Mic during the Sports Festival, my hands are cuffed.

My eyes darted towards Todoroki, who was facing against Taper. I caught myself staring at him for a bit. His face had regret written all over it. I remember his little backstory. 

Quirk Marriages, huh? So if he got his flames from Endeavor, he must've gotten his ice from his mother. That also explains the hair and Blondie's nickname for him.

I continued to gaze at him from afar. His hair... It looks familiar somehow.

Flashback

I felt the tensor bandage on my arm, elbow and wrist was coming loose. I pulled up my shirt sleeve and tightened it. I knew I was way too young. I didn't know how people would do it. The pain in my arm was still very much there but I tried to dismiss it. I winced in pain. I heard footsteps coming and so I quickly tucked in the edge of the bandage and covered it with my sleeve. I didn't dare look back to see who was there. Then I thought I heard a sniffle. I shifted uncomfortably and tried to hide behind the width of the tree. I tugged on my hood and held my knees to my chest, burying my face in my arms.

I turned my head to see that the sun, which before had displayed a beautiful sunset, had set halfway. My eyes widened. I had to go or they'd get mad. I got off of the retaining wall like it was the electric chair. While I was running, I took notice - of what I could see -  of the person's features. She had pretty long, white hair. She turned around and I noticed that she had brown-ish-gray eyes too. But I hid away from her and continued to run away.

About 2 weeks later, I was sitting in the exact spot I always do. I had a little trouble resting my left arm on my knee. It hurt really bad. And it wasn't helping matters that both my arms were very numb, and the tensor bandage was wrapped tighter than usual. Eventually, I gave up on positioning my arm correctly and spotted a beautiful white flower with light blue fade in petals.

I walked over and crouched down. It looked delicate. Then, I slowly and carefully picked up the flower so that I wouldn't break it or further injure my arms, and went back to my spot. I was fiddling with the stem when I caught sight of the very same woman from before. My sweater was covering up the bandages so hopefully she couldn't see them.

Then I looked back at my flower. Then back at the woman. The flower would fit perfectly in her hair. I know I didn't know her, and I know she had no clue who I was, so when she caught me staring, I didn't know what to do. I was only four anyway. How was I supposed to know how to deal with these kinds of situations? 

"Hello there." She said warmly, walking up to me. "Is there something wrong? Are you lost?" I gave her the flower anyway and pointed to her hair, leaving my arm in its position. She got the hint. "Oh, thank you." She said cheerfully. Then she made a cute little flower made of ice with her bare hands. I couldn't help but stare. She held it out in front of me. "Here you go." She said, still smiling.

I took it lightly from her hands and looked at it in amazement. I looked back at her. "It's my Quirk." She said. "It allows me to generate ice." I nodded in acknowledgement. Still amazed, I take notice of how cold it is, how pointy the tips of the petals are, and how fragile it is. "Do you like it?" She asks. I nod my head.

Flashback Ended

I blinked. What kind of memory was that? I looked down to where Todoroki was to see all of the students gone. Whoever that woman was, she could generate ice too. Perhaps she had something to do with the story Todoroki told earlier.

At that exact moment, a loose strand of hair fell and hung in front of my eye. Ugh, not this one.

I stared at the hair strand that was slightly blurry in front of my face. It was as white as that woman's hair from my memory.

That hair strand I was born with - I try to cut it, it just grows back. I try to dye or colour it, it doesn't work. I try to hide it, it always comes back to haunt me. I use my Quirk, this is the one strand of hair that remains the same.

I get it. I'm old. Jeez.

But that's not the real reason I hate this one simple strand.

This stupid strand of hair is just another reminder of why I'm here in the first place. 

I forcefully tucked it behind my ear and hid it underneath the rest of my (H/C) hair.

I then crossed my arms and gazed back down, only to be reminded that Todoroki had left, as well as all of the other students and participants.

I let out a sigh.

"ALRIIIIIGHT!! ARE YOU READY FOR THE FIRST BATTLE OF THE BATTLE TOURNAMENT?!" Present Mic yelled. "This is a battle between Izuku Midoriya from Class 1-A and Hitoshi Shinsou from Class 1-C!" Both Broccoli and Indigo walked up on the stage. Midnight waves her red feathery thing and shouts "GO!" And the match begins.