Wattpad Original
Mayroong 2 pang mga libreng parte

CHAPTER 6

CHAPTER 6

REAM SIPPED his wine while standing at the terrace of his mother and her new husband's small vacation house in Hammerfest, Norway. The terrace was overlooking the harbor and half of the island, presenting him the beautiful sunset at—Ream looked at his watch. Eleven PM, close to twelve—midnight.

Yes. He was looking at the sun, at midnight.

Well, this was summer in Hammerfest, Norway. Famous for its midnight sun.

"Son." Sinamahan siya ng ina sa terasa saka naglalambing na yumakap ito sa braso niya. "You're alone and looking lonely again. You have been like this since you arrived few months ago. I didn't ask because I want to give you space, but I'm getting worried, Ream. What's happening with you? Care to tell Mom?"

Ream smiled because he knew how much his mother endured just to give him the space he needed. "I don't think it's working, Ma."

"Working, what?"

Ream stared at the midnight sun. "Honestly, I came here to move on."

"Oh." That piqued Rowena's interest. "Why is it not working?"

"Because I'm far away from her, but she's still on my mind." Ream sighed and sipped his wine again. "I want to go home and see her, but I think it'll be better for the two of us to not meet again." Seeking advice from his mother, he told her what Syl told him the last time they met at his store. "I need help, Ma. What do I do? This is my first time feeling this way. I don't know what to do with these feelings, at the same time, I don't want to be reckless and hurt her."

Rowena sighed at his son's bothered expression. "Maybe I'm biased because you're my son, but based on what she said to you, she likes you."

"But she said she's not in a good place and she doesn't want to drag me into her mess. And I have to respect that."

"And that's what's worrying you." Rowena knew her son better than anyone. She could tell what was bothering him the moment he told her about the woman he liked. "You know, son..." Rowena turned her son's body to face her, and she cupped his face. "You have always been nice, kind, and respectful. They're good traits, really, but that attitude of yours sometimes gets excessive. You knew that she was not in a good place, but you let her be because you respected her decision, yes?"

Ream nodded. "She was in pain, and I don't want to add to her burden."

"But didn't it occur to you that maybe, contrary to what she told you, she actually wanted to leave that place?"

Ream was lost for words. "...What?"

Rowena sighed, seeing the lost expression on her son's face. "You don't have to tell me the details, but I can guess that she's in a bad situation right now. Because what she told you, the 'I don't want to drag you to my mess' were the same words I told my third ex-husband when my second ex-husband was abusing me. I was so scared that he would hurt Theo, so I pushed Theo away. But deep inside, I wanted Theo to just grab me and pull me out of my misery, which Theo did." Rowena smiled at the memory. "That's why I divorced him when things started to change between us. Theo was the sweetest man I have ever met, and I don't want to hurt him. And it was a good decision, hence my friendship with Theo even after our divorce."

Ream finished his wine and looked at his mom. "Do you really think she needs me?"

Rowena shrugged; she didn't want to give her son too much hope. "I'm not sure, but you should go home and try talking to her again. Give it three tries with double the effort, and if she still rejects you, then maybe, it is better to let her go."