I- Michael Matthews

I need new clothes.
Yeah. It's been on my mind for the past few days. My tees have been getting tighter and tighter a few weeks into football camp.

And now that the summer is finally over and I am in the bus heading for home, I feel all my tees are like this -- like how girls always wear clothes several sizes smaller.

I should get mom--
Oh wait, lemme introduce myself,
I am Michael Matthews, 15yrs old, from Sta. Monica, California where I go to the local public school -- Sta. Monica High. When school starts, in about 4 days, I'll be a sophomore, and officially part of the football varsity team. Coach Stenvers sent me to football camp cos he said I have 'potential'

Well shit, if I say honestly, I was quarterback in middleschool, all the way back really. Pops played college football before and really pushed me hard.

Football is all I know.
Well.
Except. For. Her.

.

"She'll be back tomorrow, I think, sweetheart," mom prolly saw my face looking for her.

The camp bus stopped maybe an hour away from my house, and I spotted mom immediately. There were only two other people there. Both dressed the same-- in a black collared shirt, signifying they were part of our house.
Yeah. We are kinda rich.

"Nia is still in Switzerland with her parents," mom continued, "they'll be back before school starts"

I just nodded in response and let go of her embrace. Well, she continued swaying me side to side, so I stayed put and let her.

I'm an only child. Mom couldn't have another kid, don't know why. I've always wanted another sibling. At least Nia is there.

Nia Sinclair, my best friend -- Craddle buddy, neighbor-- well, ok ok, my parents' property spans around maybe a bit more than 5 acres-- just so you don't get the impression that I can see her bed from my room. I can see the ocean, btw.

And yes,
Whatever you are thinking about.

Yes.

I love her.

And. No. It's not just because I'm hormonal and shit. She --
Well,
Shit.
I just simply cannot function without her approval.

So yeah.

Mom knows it. Suffice to say that pops knows it too, since mom had been cozy cuddly with Nia.

My parents approve of us, well, of course they would, they've been rooting for us since mom gave birth a few months apart from hers.

Looking at my mom yapping away to my right, Benjie our driver in front driving the Cadillac. Mom is happily talking about a party she did a few days back and how everyone love it and shit.
Whatever.
She loved it.
So I loved it too.

"Nia should be back by Saturday, sweety,"  she casually mentions, "you should start making your intentions known"

Jeez. So formal.

"Mom," I whine.

"Baby," she starts, her ass making scrunching sounds on the car leather.
"You like her. I think even love her," she says waving a hand, "but she has hormones too. And before the school starts and either one of you does something not repairable, you need to man up and go ask her out"

Well. Jeez. I just came back. Thanks for the pressure mom!

She must have seen my face, cos she spoke-- again,
"There will be even more pressure on you if you don't get her first"

"What the hell does that mean?" I shout. No clue what she meant.

"Just saying, honey," she smiles. A bit of a cryptic smile, I think.