Cuddles

Once I was in my car, I opened my phone and checked the Maps app to see what way I had to go.  Since Tom was distracting, I ended up leaving a few minutes later than I intended too but hopefully traffic wouldn't  be bad. I shot her a quick text letting her I was on my way. It was a bit windy and cloudy out and I was really hoping it would rain, the smell of rain was just really nice, something I didn't often tell people because if how weird most thought it was.

After a twenty-seven minute drive, I made it to the restaurant and saw Liz getting out of her car. We smiled at each other as we met halfway.

"Hey, I'm so sorry, I would've gotten our table already but the thought of sitting alone waiting would've made me a bit anxious." she laughed as we hugged each other.

"Girl, don't worry about it, I would've done the same." Since Liz and I met, we've been texting a lot, she's a really good friend. We made our way into the restaurant and the host met us with a smile.

"Good evening, do you have a reservation?" the middle man aged man asked us.

"Hi, yes, it's under Evans." Liz said. After looking her name up, he grabbed two menus and led us to a table near the back. We thanked him and sat down.

"How have you been?" Liz asked me as she glanced at her menu. I did the same before responding.

"I've been great, although I'm ready to go back to work, I'm getting bored of laying in bed all day." I chucked.

"Really? I'll take all the breaks I can get. But I know that you're up and going all day long with the kids."

"Yeah, it's a lot but I enjoy it." I said and smiled thinking of my students. "How about you?" I asked.

"Well, I've been alright." She started, "My Boyfriend and I are going through a rough patch, but i know we'll be okay." She paused for a moment, her smile falters. "At least that's what I'm hoping."

My heart drops a bit, she is such a sweet person that it really hurts to know shes going through something. "I'm so sorry to hear that, well if you ever need anything, I'm here."

She smiles at me before nodding and speaking. " Thanks Rosie, I really appreciate that."

Just then our waiter came and asked what we would like to drink, I went with some lemonade and a water. When he left, we picked our conversation.

"Its just crazy, we met freshman year of high school, finally dated Junior year and have been together ever since. I know, people grow and change-I'm not saying that's not okay, it is. But when you have your whole life planned out with or around someone else plans and they start to change their plans its hard, you know?" She nervously chuckles, "I'm sorry, I don't know if I expressed that correctly."

"No I totally get it. I'm so sorry, it must be so hard for you right now." I tell her.

"I'm not trying to put blame on him, I just wish it was different. But what are you thinking on ordering?" She asks.

"I'm thinking of the Hot Salmon with the salad, how about you?"

"I'm going with the lemon smoked salmon."

"I was such a picky eater growing up that I didn't start eating fish until my sophomore year of college."

"Oh same, i'm the one that would rather order from the kids menu."

I laughed at her comment while nodding in agreement. After ordering our food, we had different conversations about our childhood, she's also an only child. I miss having someone to talk to, Of course I had Tom, but it was different. Being more introverted, it was hard for me to make friends and after high school and university, the few friends i made either moved away or we just stopped talking to each other after a while.