Chapter - 4

Its been three days Divya returned from the trip and she wasn't able to talk to Karthik as he was busy and came home late completely drained off. It did bother Divya, as she was thinking why is Karthik avoiding her,  when he is late he would inform her, call her to be safe. There were crickets from his side. Karthik how ever wanted to rethink their nameless bond, with Adi in picture and his initial intention was to give her space space to find love. His mental debate did exhaust him at times and he turned to work, to find  solace.

"Karthik nillu" Divya stopped him, when he arrived late that night and she was wake doing her homework.He did stop but didn't look at her.

"Nenaichen, unnaku en meala kovam nu, eppo confirm panniten. Sari why are you angry?" Divya's almost pleading tone made karthik to look her.

"Naa yaru un mela kovapada", He shrugged.

"Seriously?"

"Ya seriously, who am I to be angry on you?. First why should I be angry, what did you do ?"

"Who you are to me? You are my hus—", Divya couldn't complete that, should she say husband? Friend? Who is he to her? Sure they are married! But their marriage doesn't represent the holy matrimony of two souls. Who is he to her and who is she to him?

"Ya that's what I thought", Karthik was his in room in no time.

Divya is confused on what is even happening, She clearly knows that she can't expect anything more from this relationship, but her heart wants for more, that her brain refuses to accept. Fidgeting with the pen in hand and thinking, Divya slammed the coffee mug that was on her table and hot coffee spilled on her hand, and screamed for life.

Before she could comprehend what happened, Karthik was there, to take her to kitchen.

"How many time I have told to not keep your coffee mug where you are working, eppo parru! Its your right hand, exams vera varudhu. Cant you be careful?", Karthik's worry was written all over his face, oblivious to Divya's silence.

She was taken aback to see him near her in lighting speed. The scene before her has completely change, the room screamed, benignant, worry and care he has on her.

she could see her pain in his eyes.

After some icing and applying cooling gel to burnt area, he cleaned her study table. Divya has never experience so much care from anyone, sure her best friends parents were nice, took care of her like their daughter, but they weren't hers, but he was hers. This thought, scared her and she came out of her trance.

"Seems your laptop is saved. Indha notes dhan spoil agidichu, ask your friends tomorrow", Karthik turned to look at her having blank expression.

"Ennachu, romba valikudha, doctor kita polama ?", he went near her to check the severity of burn which wasn't bad to go to a doctor, but it was red and tender.

"Amma valikudhu, inga illa, inga!", she pointed to her heart. Karthik was silent unable to say anything. What can he say when he doesn't know what is going on with him, he is an emotional mess. He is tied to his past that he isn't able sever ties from it. And unexplainable feeling towards Divya is complicating even more.

"Take rest. We will talk tomorrow", Karthik was about to leave.

"Illa Ennaku ippo peasanum, your indifference is scaring me. Ippo, enna vida nee dhan adhigama padharune. You asked me to spend the break with friends, aparam vandhadhulendu oru varthai pesala. Aparom, naa yaru un mela kovapada nu kekure!" He is her only person here and not talking to him really bothered her, even though she didn't want to question him, she blurt out what wanted to ask.

"Sorry, Naa yedho tension la irrudhen, nothing towards you. Don't fete, relax and take it easy. Rest yedhu. Sathiyama un mela kovam illa." Those words did pacify her as intended. But still there were so many unspoken word, that their eyes conveyed which are yet to be confronted through lips and both wanted to let go this time.

——————————

"Thanks for dropping me", Divya said while getting down from the car.

"You didnt listen to me when I asked you to stay at home. So no Thanks to you!" Karthik said with blank face. He asked her to stay at home and rest, but she insisted to go to college saying she can't miss classes. She even went far that she would take the public transport as usual, that didnt sit well with him, as she wasn't able to hold anything properly with her right hand.

"Hi Divya", came a familiar voice and Karthik just rolled his eyes.

"Hi Adi ", Divya gave polite smile.

"Woah, whats that on your hand? " Adi took her right hand and began examining.

"It just shallow burn from coffee spill", Divya took her hand from his hold seeing Karthik's annoyed reaction.

"Seri Divya, I will pick you up at 5pm", Karthik diverted the attention.

"Divya, we have dance practice", Adi pointed out.

"You want to dance practice with this hand?" Karthik questioned.

"Sorry boss, any other day I wouldnt ask her for practice. In two days we have project presentation and our presentation is dance for an ancient art form that we researched together, the professor is eager to see what we are doing." Adi gave a sincere reply.

"Yeah Karthik, right hand dhane, legs are fine, I will manage" Divya backed up Adi.

"Boss, dont worry about picking her up, I will drop her" Adi wanted to take this chance.

"Uh, Karthik you said we need to get somethings for the house right?" Divya didnt want to be alone with Adi, as his advances are so genuine that she isn't able to refuse him.

"Adi its okay, Karthik will pick me !" As usual being the gentleman Adi is, just nodded with a smile. But Karthik was taken aback slightly, why she refused Adi's help. Yes he was annoyed, irritated by seeing Adi, but he thought she liked him.

———

Karthik picked Divya as planned and reached their home, once they parked, another car pulled over besides them and it was Adi. Karthik sighed internally.

"Karthik, we have some project work to complete, so Adi will be coming to our home, we planned to stay in studio and complete but I suggested to continue working at home. Hope that's fine.", Divya almost has this face that she really have to explain herself why Adi is with her, but the fact is she doesn't have to !!

"Yeah sure no problem", Karthik replied expressionless.

Everyone had dinner and were wraping up things in Kitchen. Karthik went upstairs, Divya and Adi settle in the living room. They had to perfect some dance steps for the presentation so they were practicing that. Hearing the music karthik peeked down to see them dancing to the music.

Sure it was intense dance moves, the eye contact they have to make throughout the song, which made the dance elevate to another level. Karthik was admiring Divya's dance like she has been dancing all her life, she was indeed a natural. A smile crept out of karthik lips, feeling proud of her.

The emotions were changing to more intimate that startled Karthik, they weren't touching or holding hands, but emotions Adi and Divya were emoting was enough to feel the intimacy, of course Karthik said to himself its just a dance and they are artist trying to bring the emotions to the T. But somewhere much deeper inside, he started feeling insecure.

Why does  he have to feel insecure?

In one of the turns Adi accidentally touched Divya's right hand and she winced in pain and lost her balance. Adi's reflexes was quick enough to hold by her waist, their eyes locked for moment and Divya realized someone's eyes were on her as well and saw Karthik standing upstairs, their eyes  locked for quick few seconds before karthik stormed off to his room.
she quickly regained her composure and stood on her feet. Urged Adi to wrap up their work saying she is tired.

Divya couldn't understand with Karthik's mood swings.