Chapter 22

"Mitsuba..."

"Mitsuba...!"

"MITSUBA! Get out of the flippin' closet!" Kou yelled, twisting and turning the closet door's handle hoping it would somehow unlock itself.

Mitsuba scoffed from the other side of the closest, specifically the inside. He was extremely irritated and overwhelmed, yet he managed to scream back with a sarcastic joke. "I already came out to my mom many years ago!"

"What-? What does that even mean?!" Kou rested his head against the closet door, groaning at the headache caused by these sudden mixed emotions.

"That's it! I'm not talking to you until your mustard head cools down!" Huffed Mitsuba. He sat down and leaned his back on the closet door to keep it shut just in case the emotional lemon decided to break the locked handle to get in his safe space. "Stupid Kou..." He muttered.

Kou's nose scrunched up from that comment, but Mitsuba was right. Not the fact that he's stupid but the fact that he needs to calm down.

Taking a deep breath through his nose, he counted one to five and exhaled after. He did it again, and again until his clenched fists relaxed.

He faced away from the closet door and put the weight of his back on it, slowly sliding down until his butt reached the floor. He shifted in a comfortable sitting position, his back still against the closest, and sighed. "I'm calm now..." He calmly informed. "So... Where have you been?"

The other boy was quiet for a moment. "... I don't know."

"Oh, so you just suddenly forgot all the places you went for the past couple-" Kou felt his frustration rising again. Talking about feelings or problems shouldn't end with a fight, so he stopped and carefully thought about his next words. "I see... What do you remember then?"

"I remember..." Mitsuba hesitated, "I remember waking up someplace dark. And then, they were there... he was there."

Kou brought his right leg closer to his body, resting his chin on his knee as he tries to understand what the pink boy said. He doesn't know what it is, but he knows something bad happened. And he knows the people Mitsuba was referring to.

And he knows one of them isn't human.

"It's him again, isn't it? Tsukasa?" Kou spoke the apparition's name with such hatred. "I swear I'll make him pay for everything he has done to you."

"It's... it's not really Tsukasa's fault this time. I was desperate and made a wish. I ignored the fact that he grants wishes in his own twisted way." His voice trembled, feeling his throat tighten while he fought back tears. "I just... wanted to know what being alive feels like."

Kou gritted his teeth, clutching the edge of his black shirt while his tears gathered around his eyes.

He was supposed to protect Mitsuba.

But I failed... again. He didn't get hurt physically, I think. But emotionally... I bet he felt hurt, really hurt and-