VIII

{Kaya}

The next day, Charlie meets me in the yard of the 3rd school building. "I talked to him."

"Talked to who?"

I sit in the grass. "My dad."

"What did he say?"

"He told me that once, he and his British girlfriend," I say, shimmying my shoulders at him. "Were in love. But she fell in love with his neighbor."

"That happened with my parents. My mom was about to get married to some guy but she met my dad and they had me."

"Dayum."

He laughs. "Yeah, it was crazy."

"My dad said that he thinks I should say stay with you." I look at my lap.

"You do know I have to go back to England in a couple weeks right?"

A tear comes into my eye. "Yeah, I know, Charlie. I wish I could come with you."

"Yeah, but you can't." He puts his arms around me. I let a couple tears fall into his shoulder.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

When I get home from school, my mom approaches me. "Sweetie, I have to tell you something."

"What?"

"I talked to your dad today and he told me you went to see him yesterday."

I bite my lip. "Yeah..."

"It's fine though. But he got contact with a woman named Cynthia Picket after you left."

She was about to say something else but I cut her off. "Wait, did you say Cynthia Picket?!"

"Yes, do you know her?"

"Dad was talking about a girl named Cynthia but that last name..."

"She had your father'a baby."

I gasp. "Oh my gosh."

"What's wrong sweetheart? I thought you'd be happy to hear that you had a half-brother."

"I have to call Charlie..." I mumble, stumbling to find my phone in my purse.

I find his number as I climb the stairs. I sit on my bed.

"Hey, Kaya."

"Charlie do you have any older siblings?"

"Uh, no..."

"Crap." I put my hand over my eyes.

"Why?"

"I have to go." I hang up, tears falling over my face.

I pull myself off my bed and down the stairs, heavily leaning on the railing. "What's wrong?"

"Charlie..."

"What?"

"Charlie's," I choke. "Charlie is my...brother..."

My mother frowns. "How do you know?"

"His last name is Picket. And he doesn't have any other siblings. Are we sure he's dads?"

"They did a DNA test." She pulls me into a hug. "I'm sorry sweetie."

She holds my head to her shoulder. I don't touch her but I cry onto her shoulder.

"Cam had to pick him."

"Will you tell her?" My mom releases me.

"I think so. I didn't even tell Charlie. I don't think he knows."